Need help shooting a wireless signal about 200-300ft.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Little Spunky $#!T, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Ok so far I have a Wireless Router(linksys) and a wireless AP (linksys). Well the AP I don't think I need, so it was kinda useless to get. But I want to shoot a wireless signal basically from building to building. It would be a direct shot, so a directional antenna would work. But what I don't understand is what is a "patch antenna"?

I was planning on getting a antenna to hook up to the router, and shoot the signal the the house that will be receiving the signal. What kind of antenna do I need to "receive" the signal? Would that be what a patch antenna is for? Or do they make a USB antenna that can just plug directly into the compute rand receive the signal?

Thanks in advance.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

A wireless signal should be good for about 300ft, but you have to take into consideration walls and other obstructions.

You can use 2 WAP's and bridge them to extend the signal, but then again you still have to take into consideration what's in the way.

3. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

4. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

Well I got my laptop and tested the signal today, and it was working but low. I think I will just get a set of antenna's for the AP and that should dot it.

Thanks anywho

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Before you pay out for high-gain antenna's, check this out. Very easy to do and works great. I did this at my house and it worked great. Best of all, it's free.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/index.html

6. skilight

skilight Guest

where did Little_Spunky disappear to?

7. xer0

xer0 New Member