need help setting up new gfx card to clone display on lcd screen and hdtv

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, May 9, 2007.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i bought a gigabyte 7600 card that has a dvi and vga output (also has a breakout box that will do component and svideo)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125039
    all i want to do is connect my desktop lcd (1280x1024) via vga
    and connect my hdtv (1366x768)
    i'd like it to clone the display

yeah, first thing is that my resolution for the hdtv is not there and when i goto add a custom resolution it tells me it cannot be added.
    second thing is that i can enable cloning, but they have to share the same resolution, so the hdtv looks like shit
    third is that i can enable something called dual view, which lets you control the resolutions on each display (but 1366x768 is not available), but it extends the windows desktop across the displays.

i think i'm going to return this card if i can't figure it out
    powerstrip has way too many features that i can't figure out

can't i just have the new card installed and connected to the hdtv and then install a pci card and have that connected to my desktop lcd without having to extend displays?

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

It's not the card's fault.
    It's a limitation of Windows more than anything.

From the card to the HDTV you're using what for the connection?
    If you can use the VGA or DVI to the HDTV you might have a better chance of getting it to look right and more options for the resolutions.

1360x765 migh the closes you'll get

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i'm currently using a dvi to hdmi cable to the hdtv. i used power strip to add 1360x768 as an available resolution.

it's still extending the desktop across 2 displays. also, i bought this card because a few people said that it would display 1360x768 hd content smoother than my old card, which was an ati all in wonder9600 128mb. it displays the the hd content at pretty much the same smoothness level as my old card.

i guess i'll probably keep it so i can use the dvi out to connect to my hdtv. my previous card only had vga out. my hdtv has very limited options for color correction/sharpness etc on the vga input. it has much better options with hdmi