Need Help. Sea mist

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by pLaYIstIcPimP, May 31, 2006.

1. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

okay, so i live by the ocean and i had my hood eaten up on my old car to where it was just nasty. and i think i know why. I think the sea mist that i get on my car some nights is eating through the wax and the clear coat. My car needs a weekend detail for sure. It is black and has all KINDS of swirls. BAD. My buddy has the porter cable and all the pads so i am all go there. But what i need to know is what products i need to use. I will clay the car but I need to know what i should be using. I can take a pic of the finish if i need to. but i also need a very hard wax because of the sea mist. i am willing to wax this thing every 3 months, i just don't want the hood to end up looking like it did on my other car. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

There is no way to tell what pads and polishes you will need to start off with on your car without seeing it in person and maybe even trying a few. Read through the detailing EDU, that shoudl give you an idea of what products are available.

If you want a heavy, durable wax, order some Collinite 845 Insulator Wax.

3. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

thanks scott. i will get some pics up. i know that we have the full range of poorboys stuff. so we will start there. and yeah, i need something that will hold up, will it look nice also with what you suggested above? I don't care to have to wax every 3 months if i looks a little better.

4. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

If you have access to Poorboys EX or EX-P, especially the new formulations, they are very durable, and last quite a while. Its been 8 months since i fully detailed my moms car, and her little Oldsmobile still beads water with a coat of Poorboys EX on it. THough i should point out that its parked under a carport when its home, and is in a parking garage during teh day. But it still gets covered in diesel suit from the busses int eh bus terminal. But in terms of sun, it doesnt see a whole heck of alot. But still, 8 months, by any measure, is a long time.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree with Buck, EX w/carnauba really holds up well. Super easy to use too.

6. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Yes very easy to work with. Just make sure you spread it thin.
    Ive notied it has a nasty habbit of hazingin areas where its a little to thick. And as it evaporates, it leaves a white chalky "streak" (for lack of a better word) that looks like you missed a spot when buffing. ANd its preaty difficult to remove.
    But as long as you spread it thin, and let it sit for a good 25-30 minutes, it will buff off smoothly, and leave a clean surface, athat wont streak like that a few weeks later as the excess evaporates off.

Thankfully i found this out on my own car, before it happen on a customers. :hsd:

7. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

thanks guys, and yes, we have the poorboy ex stuff. and that sounds great. i will be waxing it every 3 months and i think that should do it well. thanks for the input.

8. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

getting a car cover will help alot when it coes to sea mist, or park in a garage if you have access.