Need Help Running Cables & Center Speaker - Plasma over Fireplace

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by noxxs, Oct 14, 2009.

1. noxxs

noxxs New Member

Alright, I'll just start with the problem:

[​IMG]

In order to run the cables I'd need to open up my wall in like three different places and I don't feel like doing all of the patch work just after I've finished painting the place.

So what I've done is I've bought some tunnels to run the cables through. Not the best looking option, but its better than what I've got now, and I'll paint them the wall color to match.

Here's the problems: I've got two HDMI cables running to the TV so I need to get a switch so I'll have room in the tunnel. I've got my eye on this guy: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t..._shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2JSBUBRVPP4SX&v=glance I really don't need the gold cable, but its 1.3 HDMI, cheap, and is usable with a remote. Any thoughts?

Bigger problem: the power cord won't reach the plug on the side of the TV that I'm running the tunnels. Is there anywhere I can buy a longer shielded power cord thats not $100. Or is there anywhere that sells shielded cords and I can just splice it in?

Lastly, I need a slim center speaker that will fit in between the TV and the mantle and not suck. For the other two speakers I'm just going to get stands, but the center has no where to go for the moment, hence sitting on a box.:ugh2:

Any suggestions?

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw OT Supporter

not sure what kind of "tunnel" you are using, but I have some plastic conduit that will easily run two HDMI cables, so maybe look into some other options...

but personally, I would cut a few patches and run everything through the wall.

And you can get a longer replacement power cord, I use 10 and 15 ft ones all the time. no need to worry about shielding.

3. FireFold

FireFold New Member

By tunnels I believe you mean raceways.

For a switch check out this product: http://www.firefold.com/3X1-HDMI-Intelligent-Switch-Supports-75-Foot-P1915C126.aspx
    I will do that for $30.99. It's by far better then the one you are looking at and cheaper.

For the power cord problem - You do not need a shielded power cable. Believe it or not you can throw a power cable in the race way with a HDMI cable and have no problems. Between the PVC 'protection' on both cables you will have no issues. Of course I would always recommend against doing if possible, but you will see no issues. Longer power cord: http://www.firefold.com/12-Foot-Computer-Power-Cord-Black-P256C503.aspx

I have no suggestions on speakers, but let me know the part #'s when you decide to buy. I can save you money on those too! [email protected]

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Is your basement open under the fireplace. If so, the foundation will go out and allow you to drill up behind the fireplace. Then all you have to do is cut an outlet sized hole behind where the tv will go above the fireplace and you can use a fish rod or glow rod to run the wires from down in the basement up and out of the wall.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I feel for you. I when I sold installs for Magnolia I almost always got the highest approval from people that hadn't "finished" their rooms yet. Panamax makes a super cool all-in-one direct box that takes the power cable, HDMI, Component, and DVI. You need an electrician (or yourself) to install it. It makes the whole thing look clean, and lets be honest - you'l probably be hanging TV's there the rest of your life, so it's a worthwhile investment.

[​IMG]

http://www.panamax.com/Products/In-Wall/Default.aspx

Good luck.

6. noxxs

noxxs New Member

I'm going to try and check in the basement sometime soon to see if I can get some easy access to behind the wall. If so, then I'll definitely do an all in one box and run everything that way. thanks for the heads up.

Anyone have any suggestions on a center channel speaker?

7. FireFold

FireFold New Member

Much cheaper alternatives: http://firefold.com/Integrated-Power-Wallplates-C401.aspx

8. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

9. mojito

mojito New Member

its a Chinese made power cord and piece of plastic screwed to drywall that will be hidden. are you kidding?

10. SuperGriff34

SuperGriff34 OT Supporter

firefold has great stuff, all my stuff ive gotten from there has worked flawlessly the past couple years