need help recovering files locked with win pass v.i know password

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by twinturboteddy, Aug 6, 2005.

1. twinturboteddy

twinturboteddy Bling Bling!

THanks to anyone/everyone who can help me figure this out.

1. friend fries laptop, won't boot up. It says can't find drive 0. Friend want to recover many important files.

2. I remove 2.5" HD from laptop and put in enclosure and hook up to my pc with a usb 2.0.

3. Takes a while but I'm able to get in. But of course all the files that she wants is under her My Documents which of course is f'ing passworded.

4. How can I remove the password from the files. Booting up from the laptop right now isn't an option because it's basically fried. I have the username and password of course.

ANY help would be appreciated. :sadwavey:

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Assuming you're running 2000 or XP Pro on your machine (and you're an admin) and your friend's drive is formatted NTFS, you need to take ownership of the folder and then give yourself full control of it. Right click, properties on the folder, security tab, advanced button, owner tab. Make yourself the owner and click the box to propagate to subcontainers and objects. Then go back to the the permissions tab and add yourself with full control, again checking the box to replace permissions of all child objects.

3. twinturboteddy

Thanks for the info.

Sorry on the lack of info, was trying to be brief.

Laptop and my PC are both XP and both NTFS, my PC is XP pro and I am admin.

But I am only seeing three tabs on the properties. GENERAL, SHARING, & CUSTOMIZE

:dunno:

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

In Windows Explorer on your computer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab and scroll to the bottom. Uncheck "Use simple file sharing". The security tab should become available.

5. twinturboteddy

okay, thanks for that last part!

I did what you said and added myself as the new owner, even though it said all administrators on my machine were current owners. Weird.

But it looks like it's doing something so I'll just leave it for the night and see what happens in the morning.

THANKS! I'm crossing my fingers.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Its going through every object and child object and rewriting the permissions. If you selected the whole disk or a large part of it, especially if there's a lot of small files, it could take a while.