Need help putting together a system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2jz, Feb 23, 2004.

1. 2jz

2jz New Member

Hey guys, my place is currently networked with HP 2ghz P4, Athlon 600 (which I put together myself) and 2 Sony VAIO 505s. I am about to redo my whole setup, which will include a SONY VAIO PCG-V505EG laptop, Sony VAIO TR3AP2 laptop and a main system which I will build myself. Here is where you guys could help me. It's been about 3yrs or so since I've build a system, so I'm not too updated with computers technologies today. I know that I want at least a 3ghz system (not sure on intel or amd...which would you guys recommend?), with at least 1024mb RAM (what type should I go with? DDR?). The rest of it I will need your sugestions on. I am outdated as far as motherboards. It used to be that Asus is a great brand, I'm not sure now. Back then, some motherboards were not compatible with certain video cards and RAMs, is that still the case now? Could you also please suggest what video cards, sound cards and dvdrw? I know there will be an amount of post telling me to do some research, which I will try to do as much as possible. But I have a pretty busy schedule, so I am sure there are quite a few people on this board who are extremely knowledgeable about this stuff that could help me out and save me some time. Thank you in advance.

2. Method

Method It cools teh nuts!

Asus is still a good brand, as far as motherboards go. What type of "place" are you talking about: work or home? Your video card for home ought to be much more powerful than the one at work, no?

Unless you have "cool" job...

Be careful when purchasing ram. Some of the cheaper sticks out there are not "dual channel capable", which means they are half the speed.

There is much debate as to whether you should go with Amd or Intel. I will not help.

A good place to research dvdrs is www.dvdrhelp.com.

A "new" technology you would want to use in your new setup would be a Serial ATA hard disk, as they are affordable, and have a 150 mhz bus speed. A good mobo will have a controller built in.

If you're looking for cheap high performance, i'd recommend the nvidia 5200fx 128mb. You can find this on pricewatch for around $60. A soundblaster live 5.1 card too, as you can pick that one up for about $35, and it used to be Creative's flagship.

Things have changed in the last 3 years. You may be better off getting a machine from one of the big guys instead of building yourself. At the very least, use them as a reference for what's out there.

Good luck.

3. 2jz

2jz New Member

Thanks for the reply, I've been reading up on CPU technology and looks like the athlon64 is the new bad boy. As for memory, what is the indicator that they are "dual channel"? Will it be stated or is there a certain approved marking? I do not want to buy a system because I know that putting one together would fit my needs better and be cheaper. The new stuff will be going into my house.

4. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

The description of the board would say it it supports Dual Channel. You don't need special ram for dual channel. Just as long as they are the same.

5. diranged

diranged New Member

If you go with an Athlon64, remember that it is only a Single Memory Controller CPU. That means that the bigger the stick of ram you get, the better -- because then you still have slots to upgrade with later. So getting one 1GB dimm will save you room so that you can add another one later if you decide to.