Need help please: Drives not detected

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by V, Apr 29, 2003.

1. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i cant figure out whats wrong with my damn computer. for a couple of days now, my DVDrom and CD-r drives have not shown up in My Computer, Device Manager, and i just checked and they dont show up in BIOS either.

i have not installed any new software or hardware in months. since this problems started, my DVDrom drive has opened normally, and when i put a disc in, it starts spinning, but nothing comes up. the light on the CD-r drive has been blinking constantly since the problem started. it wont open or do anything. i unplugged it, but that didnt change anything. the DVDrom drive still wont show up.

does anyone have any idea why this is happening or how i can fix it?

i did get a virus the other day, and thinking back, it might have been around the time this started happening. it was the Nimda32 virus. my norton quarantined it and i deleted the effected files. there were only three files, and i have gotten this virus before actually many times (im on a pretty big network and dont have a firewall) but every time i just deleted it and it was fine. could i have deleted some important files maybe? could this virus be the problem? if so, how would i correct it?

i could really use some help. tell me what you guys think. thanks :sadwavey:

2. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Are your DVD-ROM and CD-RW on the same IDE channel? If so, the cable should be checked. Without being sure exactly what the virus affected, and subsequently what files you deleted, it may be wise to run Norton Emergencey Repair, and then reinstall Windows. After you get everything up and running again, try a personal firewall, such as ZoneAlarm.

3. d0rkus

d0rkus I has a booger. OT Supporter

do you have another computer?
    try the cd-rw and dvdrom on a diff system seperately to see if the drive itself is ok, if that works, try a cdrom from another system onto yours to see if it can read it :dunno:

4. V

V Corrupt and Immoral

i checked the files that the virus infected. none of them were important. i think they are on different IDE channels, but im not sure. how would i check that?

i unplugged each drive seperately and neither drive worked each time.

i dont have a sepearate computer to test the drives out. i guess ill just reformat when i have the time and see if that helps. it would be nice to not have to buy a new drive.

any other ideas would be much appreciated.

oh, by the way, this has sort of happened before. several weeks ago, the same thing happened, where the drives stopped showing up. but then i just rebooted and everything was fine.

5. tstrandh

tstrandh New Member

There on the same IDE channel if their both on the same cable. May be motherboard.