Need Help Planning Bass Solution For Ride

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ronin, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Ronin

Ronin Guest

First thing, its a 66 mustang, the trunk is small and i need a lot of the space in there for amp installation so i cant run twin woofers sadly, atleast not easily and i dont like doing things that are a huge giant pain in the ass

a 12 inch woofer however should fit easily, depth shouldnt matter either

my budget:anything under 400, i dont want to go over that unless its like 405, 410, etc.

I cant demo much of anything, there seem to be no decent shops near by but this is what I want from my sub: able to extend low with little to no distortion, low as in 20hz. I also need to get decent spl levels out of it, this is my first full system so id probably be more easily impressed than you guys of course but it needs to have enough impact to bring attention. (in the car not out :) ) know what i mean? :dunno:

i was thinking IDMAX but not sure what else there is to choose from

not sure what H2s sound like, what about w6s?

not sure about sound splinter either, their supreme drivers are a bit out of my range and not sure if id get what im looking for out of their mid-level choice.

oh and im going sealed btw indefinately.

expect pics of project progress in a month or so, have a couple more things to do before i get to begin car audio stuff but everything is planned except what sub to get.

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

SI MAG D2 12" ;)

www.stereointegrity.com

Don't worry about MSRP, the dealer is a friend... I can talk to him if you want!

/thread

;)

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The only thing I wonder is why 20hz in a car?

A 20hz tone has a 56 foot wavelength. Which pretty much means that
    on a typical city street, the bass wave would literally be forming in the living rooms you pass by.... Oh, I see... nevermind...:eek3:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

its just a frame of reference :mamoru: i dont care if my ride is mildly obnoxious it will have loud dual exhaust anyway so :dunno: and it will be completely rattle proofed so as long as the bass is clean i could careless about the old woman i just gave a stroke to.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

those seem pretty awesome, what would their SQ compare to thats relatively mainstream? anything? :eek5:

6. Doc Brown

I wonder how fast the sale of ear plugs will go up in your neighborhood.:rofl:

7. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

A single 12 will go head-to-head (and possibly beat, depending on the person's personal taste in SQ) with...

-JL W7, W6v2
    -Image Dynamics IDMAX
    -MTX Thunder 9500

etc, etc ;)

I got the chance to demo the new 12 for two weeks, it was a great experience. Still my all around favorite subwoofer to this day. It is extremely musically accurate throughout the entire sub-bass spectrum. The output and articulation with only 600rms is amazing, and the sub can easily take up to 1200rms daily. I found I like the sweet spot of right around 1000rms. :)

8. Ronin

Ronin Guest

awesome, ill definately add it to my list of things to get, ill pm when u when im able to buy it

9. Doc Brown

Well, worse comes to worse it's going to act as a defibrilator for some of them. I guess you can't make omelets without cracking a few eggs, eh?

10. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

seas lotus
    w6v2

11. -argonaut-

-argonaut- New Member

You could run twin subs in your ride if you would'nt mind a little fabrication.
    I'm familiar with the '66's and know that there is adequate room in the trunk to mount twin subs and still have the primary trunk area for packing stuff by making use of the space provided by the quarter panels.
    Sealing/enclosing this area is easy to do, requiring little materials and fairly minimal labor to fashion boxes on either side..., like more information ?

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm well even if 2 subs could fit i dont have the money to do it with. ill go with a single sub set up for now.

and yeah sealing enclosing the trunk is pretty damn easy considering there are no interior panels, it goes bare metal ->carpet, i just need to rattle pad the deck lid and the trunk compartment seperator that goes behind the back seat + regular matting duties throughout trunk etc

13. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

how do you plan on firing the sub? Up, back? how much power are we talking? Will you be venting the rear deck or some sort of pass through for the rear seat to allow more sound into the car? Some things to consider, but I'm sure that you have! Anyways, if you don't mind using a shit-ton of power, the H2 is a great sub in the DEI designed enclosure. If you can get someone to use the T/S specs and design a different one, you can use less power for the sub. I think that the idea behind the sub was to put it in a small ineffecient enclosure so that it could handle gobs of power. One of my installers built a ~3-4 cu.ft. vented box for a 15" and it would knock your head off with about 750w in an old Honda civic hatch. also, are you going to be mounting directly below the parcel shelf? You could have enough room for 2 10's or even 3 8s across there. more cone surface, and better accuracy from a smaller sub. And if built right, with enough power, you can get the same extension from an 8 or 10 as you can a 12. you'll just need more than one to acheive the SPL level of a 12. Remember, a sealed box sub will allow for more power (above RMS/max ratings; i.e.- 200w max sub in a sealed enclosure could handle 300+w of CLEAN power)

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

not sure about what direction id want to fire the sub, i could probably do either. i was going to customize my rear deck lid to fit my rear fill in there (i know all about rear fill blah blah blah i want it so need to go into it) so i was thinking maybe i could cut some big round holes on either side and just grill cloth them off or something :dunno: the rear deck lid is going to be rattle padded so it doesnt shake against the rear deck structure, theres a metal framework back there which the lid sits ontop of.

the thing is i havent heard very many good systems, i just see a lot of ghetto mobiles driving around with bass u can hear from a distance and i wonder "would a high end sub fed with 1k watts rms have exponentially greater ground shaking abilities :eek5:"?

i dont really care if im loud but i dont want to sacrifice sound quality. i dont want to hear any stress or distortion from my bass at all, i want it go low and violent. i want it to have enough dynamic range to be able to extend to high spl levels when needed and not sound like poo. this car should be an attention grabber when its done and not the kind of attention that is: what a dumb looking noisey piece of shit. It should be: that faggots parents probably paid for all of it. AKA jealousy :bigthumb:

hope all of that tells you exactly what im going for here.

i dont know what you mean by parcel shelf either. sometime this week ill go out to the car and take some measurements for width of trunk, height, depth etc. (ive been working a lot lately :( )

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the rear deck area where speakers are usually mounted.

16. Doc Brown

Working in the rear deck area can be a huge job. If you plan on doing that,
    do yourself a favor and remove the rear glass. You'll save massive amounts of hard work.
    Then when you are done, just put the glass back in. (use new butyl, don't scrimp)

If you do it that way, you can probably squeeze a pair of 12's in there,
    and you won't even have to build a cabinet. Just pick a pair of subs with a high qts/vas, mount them in and you're done. The trunk cavity will act as the cabinet.

17. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i dont even know wut ur talking about :hsugh:

my deck is simply where my speakers are going if ur suggesting to mount subs in the deck thats impossible as the deck area is very small.

19. Doc Brown

Ah. Well it was mentioned prior to me bringing it up, so I thought it was a possibility.

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

but yeah what kind of spl levels could i expect from an SI MAG in a sealed enclosure with 1000watts rms?

i know its hard to tell for sure but a ballpark range would be fine

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  21. Doc Brown

This would be a good time to mention that every doubling of amplifier wattage only adds 3db @1 meter, to the volume you get.

So you will only get 3db more than you would if you had a 500 watt amp.

And it is generally agreed that it takes 10db for a percieved doubling of "loudness".

22. Doc Brown

To get the db at max wattage, you just keep doubling the 1 watt at 1 meter figure. So if 1 watt at 1 meter = 90db then:

1 = 90db
    2 = 93db
    4 = 96db
    8 = 99db
    16 = 102db
    32 = 105db
    64 = 108db
    128 = 111db
    256 = 114db
    512 = 117db
    1024= 120db

I'm guessing that the volume is compounded inside a roofed in vehicle.
    But in a convertable, it would be just like the chart.

23. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

If only on paper = real life... :rolleyes:

A pair, sealed with ~1400rms posted a 143 on the TL...

Mid 130's is not out of the question with a single 12 and a decent amount of power....

:)

24. Doc Brown

At what efficiency of woofer?

And by the way, in a normal room space the db chart I posted is exactly correct.

25. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Which is COMPLETELY irrelevant here.

You may know QUITE a bit about Home Audio, but the +12v world differs a bit.

So, therefore... when it comes to car audio... you should seek the relevancy of your posts before you make them.

No offense meant at all.

:hsd: :sadwavey: :bigthumb: