Need Help Picking Out Audio Equipment for my Truck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TALLandNcharge, May 19, 2008.

1. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I have a 2002 F-150 SuperCrew (4 door). I'm ready to replace the headunit, install a sub, and do something with the door speakers.

As for the headunit, I will probably go with an Alpine. I've had one before and I enjoyed it. But does anyone highly recommend any particular brand for headunits?

As for the sub, I found an MTX 10" in a custom fitted box that fits under the backseats. I'm not looking for a lot of bass, just enough to give the music some extra "feeling."

Now here comes some questions.

I've heard of people running power to the door speakers to increase sound quality. Can someone explain this to me in laimen's terms? Where would I put the amp?

As for the amp, I'm not sure how many channels I need. If I run power to my door speakers, I'm guessing I'll need more channels. Is this correct? If I run power to my door speakers, how many channels do I need? Or do I need an amp just for those and then one for the sub? Is there a particular brand that someone recommends?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i have had great luck with alpine and panasonic. I've had horrible experiences with eclipse.

you don't want to amp the door speakers unless you replace them with something decent.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i'm personally a huge fan of kenwood excelon. 2 yr warranty and more features for you dollar than just about every radio out there. pioneer premier ranks about the same with the excelon, "bang for your buck" wise, i just prefer the kenwoods to the premiers.

second, amping your factory speakers has long been a common upgrade for someone just starting out with car audio improvements. the typical factory power is not much more that 15 watts, at most. if you at least double that with clean, dedicated power from an amp, you'll get at least that much better sound.

another thing about the door speakers, if you have the mach system with the components, adding a seperate amp to those will really bring them alive. i amped the mach components in my explorer before I put my components in, and was pretty impressed with the sound. if you don't have the mach comps, alpine type r and kicker have 5x7 component sets, and both sound great. Hell, even just upgrading to coaxials will give crisper highs and better midrange/bass.

now, on to your sub. the MTX box really fills in the need for someone that wants some bass but doesn't want to go full on custom. it should give you all that you're looking for.

amps. everyone knows all kinds of shit about amps. my suggestion is either a 5 channel to amp every speaker, or use a 4 channel. now, when using a 4ch, you would normally amp the front speakers and bridge the rear channels on a single 4 ohm or dual 2 ohm voice coil subwoofer.

now that you have all of this info, read it, process it, get confused (lol), and ask anything else that you want to know!