A&P need help picking a digital camera

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Tk, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

ive been looking for a good two months now, and will be ready to buy around the middle of the month.

i looked at some HP digital cams today, and they looked alright... went to dpreview.com and read some reviews and everything as well. I just dont want to buy something and have it NOT be what i want.

anyways, ill tell you guys what i want to take pictures of, and what i want, and you suggest something for me.

one thing, i cant spend any more than $500 on the camera itself... im going to college this fall and still need to buy another laptop :o

- good contrasting pictures, like sunsets, trees in the fall, sun going down on a lake, that sorta thing...
    - high qualty still life and action shots
    - night time shots of the city and highways, with the lens exposed for a period of time
    - needs good zoom for far away pictures of cars and hot women ;)
    - has to be able to do movies with sound, as long as possible
    - highest resolution possible... id like something over 5mp, but will settle for anything over 4. ive looked into the coolpix 5000 but thats out of budget :sad2:

ask me for more info if you need to, but see what you can find with that. thanks a lot!

2. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

HP for digicam? i dunno about that one.

i would stick with olympus, nikon, or canon. how do you like the nikon coolpix 4300? that camera had great reviews and takes awsome shots. its just a little too toy like for me.

i own a olympus c-4000, i love it. only thing i want is a longer zoom. its a great camera for someone just starting out with its automatic mode, and has all the manual features you need.

3. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

cool, thanks for telling me no to HP... i didnt know about all that :sad2:

ill check out some olympus and canons... the coolpix 4300 didnt really catch me as being 'up there' in the ranks i guess, but ill look at it a bit closer. my girlfriend just got a regular olympus camera that takes beautiful pictures... somethin -50 was the model number, but yeah, its pretty nice.

ill look into those though, thank you :)

4. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

The coolpix is a very nice camera, good feature set and very compact.

5. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

would it be wise to buy a refurbished camera?

:sad2:

i dont have the money for a new one... looking at the Olympus C-5050 right now.

6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

g3 (just my suggestion)

i guess i should also recommend the coolpix 995 cause i use it daily, but it's not as easy to use as the g3 IMHO, you can find used ones pretty cheap

7. Mancini

Mancini Guest

8. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

I concur with this sage piece of advice. I recently upgraded to a g5 from my old s40, (I still have the s40, but it's collecting dust now).

The g3 is pretty much the same camera as the g5, but with 1 less MP. You can live without that extra MP. You should be able to find it for under $500. Awesome image quality, and there are so many options to play with on this camera.

:)

9. Tk

Tk Well-Known Member

yeah... i guy here in the office has a G3 and hes been helping me look for the camera i want. i thought about getting the G3 as well but would like have something just a little bit better.