A&P Need Help Picking A Camera for a gift

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ThreeUp3Down, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

My dad's birthday is coming up and he has always had an intrest in photography but never really got into it because he's never had the money to spare for a nice camera. I can't afford to get him the professional digital cameras that cost thousands but thought it would be a nice gift to get him a decent model he could mess around with. Something that costs a few hundred. Would like to get a used (yeah I'm cheap but he won't mind) package with multiple lenses or something for $300-400 on eBay but I don't have a clue where to start. Suggestions? Thanks.

2. Ingen

Ingen New Member

If you're looking for a used digital SLR for 3-400 with multiple lenses, you're out of your head! I can't even get the "Multiple lenses" part for less than 400 :( Seriously though, look at the minolta dimage a2 (500 for a point and shoot digital) or the coolpix series. Or the powershot, I think it is? I'm not a big canon buff. Basically, D-SLR isn't near your price range.

If you're looking for a film SLR, however, I'd get one of the newish discontinued cameras. Like the nikon n65 (I shoot one of those :big grin:) or n70? Or canon rebel, etc. You could go with used here, there's zillions in old film equipment everywhere. Just be sure you're buying from someone who knows what they're doing... as long as they're not intentionally TRYING to scam you, that'll work out better for you :)

3. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

What does SLR stand for? I realize they're out my price range but am still curious. Looking around on eBay for Nikon's because that is the one brand I've heard him mention before and was looking at the 5700. Was in my price range (no multiple lenses but looked like it was a decent camera [not that I know anything] where he could get multiple lenses and work on shooting and then move up to a nicer camera from there. Again I know nothing about cameras I just know he's had an interest in photography for years and hasn't had the money to get even a decent camera to pursue it and is seriously expecting socks for his birthday so thought he'd love a camera (or bitch about me spending to much on him which is more likely). Thoughts? Thanks again.

4. Ingen

Ingen New Member

An SLR is a single lens reflex camera. I think it's single lens reflex, I'll kick myself if I'm wrong. It's the big kind that take different lenses. THe majority of digitals (ok, ALL of the digitals) in your price range are NOT d-slr's. The point and shoot ones usually have very versatile lenses that will do most of the work he's wanting to. If you go film he could get multiple lenses (there went your price range again, glass is expensive) for a future better camera. Lenses usually move witht he photographer, the camera stays put. If the lens is built in, there won't be any multiple lenses unless you get the lens add-ons for them.

5. ThreeUp3Down

ThreeUp3Down New Member

I talked to him again tonight and it's an D-SLR or bust so I guess he's getting socks because no way I'm shelling out a few grand :) Thanks for the input anyways Ingen.

6. mojito

mojito New Member

Gift Certificate towards one? A rebel kit is 999

7. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

i just got a 300d with lens for $730

8. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

if purchased by the end of the month, the Nikon d70 has a $100 rebate on the body alone or $200 for the kit.

10. Ingen

Ingen New Member

But the nikon kit is 1300 and you need a flash card after that rebate. Trust me, I shoot a d70, they're fun machines but they aren't cheap. If you want ot save cash get the 300d or whichever new d-slr is like 600, I forget :(