Need help! Pc keeps restarting (BSOD), and unable to auto update winxp

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thisgsx, Feb 12, 2009.

1. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Here's my problem, before last Wed, my pc was working fine, after my brother was done using it, there were tons of popups! Since then my computer keeps restarting (BSOD), and I cant set windows update to auto, I've tried everything, even searching through google for an answer but it wont let me set it to auto. All my softwares are up to date, including my bios. Im 99% sure it's a virus that's causing this. I've booted in safe mode, ran spybot, deleted a few trojans, that didnt solve the problem, booted back into safe mode and did a system restore but the last date I can restore my system is Saturday! Which wont do me any good. Anyone help me????

One more thing, when in safe mode, my pc seems to be working fine. I dont get the BSOD. So this gives me an idea that it isn't hardware related, it is software related. Which leads me to believe that the culprit might be a virus. Help!

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

What does the BSOD say?

Hit F8 on startup and disable automatic reboot on system failure and post up what it says.

3. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Sounds like a virus to be, I doubt hardware went bad AND you get a millions pop ups.

Try a different virus scanner, I like AVG free. Start backing up data you dont want to lose.

4. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

I'll post up the BSOD later on this evening, as for a virus scanner, I'm currently using, Spybot, Superantispyware, Ad-aware, and AVG. They're all not solving the problem.

5. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I wonder if you had spyware downloaded to it and when you 'cleaned' your computer one of the registry files were deleted.

Either way...the BSOD should show where the failure is. Probably a dll missing/corrupt now.

6. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

run combofix and gmer

7. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Ok, here is the exact message the BSOD gives me.

"A problem has been detected and windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0xBA93A497, 0xB2A17DD4,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

Can anyone help?

8. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Ran combofix and it's still not helping, but it deleted my winxp crack.:wtc: I now need to go back and validate my xp.

9. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I did some reading on google and it could be related to the HaxDoor virus.

Code:
    This problem may occur if the computer is infected with a variant of the HaxDoor virus. 

The HaxDoor virus creates a hidden process. Additionally, the virus hides files and registry keys. The executable file name of the HaxDoor virus may vary, but the file name is frequently Mszx23.exe. Many variants of this virus put a driver that is named Vdmt16.sys or Vdnt32.sys on the computer. This driver is used to hide the virus process. The HaxDoor virus variants can restore these files if you delete them.
    Read through the bottom of this page for removal
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/903251

10. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

How is your RAM? Nothing new lately? Have you tried interchanging RAM out to see if one of them is the culprit?

(or try the mem tester from Micro$oft http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp )

11. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

Thanks for this. I'll look into it as it may be this.

My ram seems to be working fine. Nothing new lately, but I havnt tried interchanging them.

12. thisgsx

thisgsx New Member

**update**

I couldnt figure it out so I formatted my computer and did a fresh install of Win Xp, everything is working fine now.