GUN Need help on deciding for a scope for my LTR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jeepilot, Oct 27, 2007.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm pretty set on the Nikon Monarch 5-20x44mm with the BDC reticle. I have seen places online list it as low as $430, so i probably won't get it from opticsplanet, but they have the best description. It comes with 3 different target turrets, and has side focus.

I will be using this for mostly target shooting with my Remington 700P LTR, but as it is my only deer rifle, it will serve double duty. I've looked at the Bushnell elite 4200, and the burris FFII, and Signature select. The nikon seems to be the best, but i'm open to other options.

Basically it needs to be less than $500, have target turrets, and have greater than 16x, and would prefer something larger than 40mm objective with adjustable parallax. Let me know what you all think.

2. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

so does anyone here even have a nikon scope?

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

I went with a Sightron SII 3.5-10x with side focus and Mil-Dot. I was in the same general price range so I was also shoppint mid-line Nikons, high-end Bushnells, and low end Leupolds.

Can't say it is any better or worse than anything else in the general price range, but I have loved it so far. My only complaint is that the manual didn't have any technical specs on the Mildot, so I've had to figure it for myself.

I hear a lot of complaints about the Nikon BDC. Good in theory but kind of crummy in practice. Otherwise the ones I looked at and through were nice.

4. reman

reman New Member

5. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

I have the http://www.swfa.com/pc-6836-224-nikon-3-9x40-prostaff-riflescope.aspx

I like it ok, glass is pretty clear (i dont have experience w/ leopold or similar type glass, so this is biased), it does what i ask it to do as a low level target scope, i wish i'd grabbed something more powerful, but i wasnt too concerned w/ it given my max range of 100yds and the price was ok for me

I really dislike the BDC, i think its pretty useless, it was onsale when i bought it so thats the only reason i have it

6. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

Dont get the BDC its just more crap in your field of view.

A deer hunting rifle sighted dead on at 200 yards you can aim in the center of the kill zone and get a hit from 0-300 yards

7. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

I have a few Nikon scopes they are good scopes for the price.

8. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

9. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I'm still debating, I looked through a nikon buckmaster with the BDC today. It wasn't too bad, but it was a lot smaller than i thought it would be. While i can see its advantages, if i'm going to be getting target turrets, there would be really no point. It would be good for on the fly "kentucky windage" shots though, where there wouldn't be time to manually adjust windage.

I do take shots out to 400yds or so when deer hunting, so i need something that will be able to give me compensation at those ranges with a .308.

10. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

ior something :o

11. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I've hunted with the BDC reticle and I hated it, too much junk in the field of view and the circles aren't very precise.

I'd go with a regular duplex, but that's just my opinion.