Need Help on deadlift form...

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Martin Atchet, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First off sorry if this has been talked about, which I'm sure it has, but I don't have a sub so I can't search.

When I DL i can keep my back arched and lower back straight until right about when my fingers reach the bar. When I grab the bar it seems like for the life of me I just CANNOT keep my back from getting rounded. I feel tightness in my groin area like my hips won't go any further and the only way to grab the bar is to round my back.

Is this purely a flexibility issue or do I have week hips or something? This is seriously frustrating because I've been at this for almost a year and I just can't do it. I hate it.

2. mandrew

mandrew New Member

try to sit back more.... I can keep my hips pretty high and still have a flat/arched lower back when doing things like Romanian Deadlifts, and the key to it for me is trying to sit back. Personally I imagine sticking my ass as far back as possible while keeping my shins from bending backward or forward.

3. Yeah I try to sit back but I don't want to be using too much of my quads.

4. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

5. Thank you. I know what a deadlift is supposed to look like I just can't physically get in that position.

6. mandrew

mandrew New Member

the more you sit back the less quad you're using... sitting back puts emphasis on the posterior chain which is your lower back, glutes, and hamstrings.

7. Ah ok. I will give this a try again but my back seems to always be rounded no matter what.

8. Rumbaar

Rumbaar Inherent Omniscience OT Supporter

I found at my lighter weights it was harder for me to get into the correct positions. Until it go high enough to allow for the weight to act like a counter-leaver and not have me fall over backwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.