Need help negotiating an IT salary

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Alt+F4, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

I'm 24 years old, and I work for a school district. I'm pretty much a help desk monkey, but with all of our projects I'm doing some networking stuff. I'm the only IT staff here. My superintendent offered to pay my way through the entire MCSE curriculum starting next month. Should take me about 15 months. He said he wants me to stay two years after my training is complete, so summer of 2007. Our contracts run from July 1 - July 1. I make 33k this year. What do you think I should ask for for the next few years? We're amending my contract to stay here for those two years, and I am going to demand that we amend my salary to reflect my mcse/experience/duties as well. I just need to know what I'll be worth along the way.

On July 1, 2005, I'll have three years exp, an AS in CIS, and about 5 mcse exams done. $45k? $35k is about average around here for help desk, $50k for programmers.

On July 1, 2006 I'll have my mcse and four years exp, on top of the AS. $55k? Keep in mind I work for the state so I know it's probably higher for the private sector.

Thanks for any aid you can give me.