Need Help- Installed ethernet card correctly and it doesn't work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mstyle, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

Just needed some advise. I installed an ethernet card on my brother's computer (P3 850Mhz - 128RAM). I installed it correctly, loaded the drivers and installed it on the motherboard. When I look at the Device Manager it recognizes its there but when I plug in the CAT5 Cable it doesn't want to log on the net. The light on the ethernet card goes on. My brother has Road Runner Cable and he used to use a USB port and wants to use the ethernet card so he could run a router. Any suggestions on what is wrong with the computer. Even when I go to the Internet Options and try to connect it that way it doesn't let me select the ethernet card, only the usb port. WTF? Need some help... Thanks Guys

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

When using the Ethernet card, tell Internet Explorer that you have a LAN connection. You don't have to tell it what card. In network properties, make sure TCP/IP is bound to the new card. Have you turned off the cable modem for a minute before connecting the NIC? What does winipcfg show?

3. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

I can't even rest the winipcfg. It freezes all the time. I also try to set up Internet Explorer with a LAN connection and it doesn't find it.....I really don't know what is wrong with it. It always freezes when I try to reset the settings

4. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

1. What version of Windows are you running?

2. You'll have to power cycle the cable modem [and possibly the computer], for about ten seconds, so that Road Runner can update the MAC address bound to your account.

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

And remove the old drivers if they're not already

6. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

My bros running Windows 98 Plus...The drivers are taken out...

I will try to reset the Power Cycle with Road Runner..

Thanks

Let you know

7. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

Bump!

8. knightm3

knightm3 Guest

Verdict?

9. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

No luck with the power cycle...Still did not recognize...Any other suggestions?

10. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Kinda sounds like it has nothing to do with the computer and everything to do with your cable company. If they use MAC addresses for handing out IP's, there's your problem. What you need to do is isolate the problem, is it the network card or not. You're assuming there's nothing wrong with the cable portion of it, which is wrong. You need to test to see if there's no problem with the ethernet card and the only way to do that is to test on a known good network or create your own.

11. Mstyle

Mstyle Guest

I'm gonna try to grab the PC and test it on my network..then I'll see what happens..