GUN need help identifying kimber 1911 malfunction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by s2k, Aug 16, 2008.

1. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

my friend just bought a new kimber 1911, i think its the custom II, went and shot it today and we've had multiple malfunctions, the slide kept locking back when the mag is not empty yet, what could be the problem?

he also have another hi-cap 1911 that will feed the round into the chamber, but the slide get stuck right behind the round, whats wrong here?

in other news, my cz 75 sp01 has been working flawlessly, 400+ rds without a single problem :bigthumb:

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I found the malfunction..................it's a Kimber.

3. Many 1911 problems are directly related to magazine choice.

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm such a dick. Sounds like it needs to go to a smith for a reliability job. Pretty much recommend that for all 1911's. Could be as simple as bad ammo. You can remove the barrel and then drop the ammo one by one into the chamber to "chamber check" the ammo. Could be the feed ramp is out of spec, could be magazine problems, could be 1911.

5. sprite

sprite Active Member

Issue number one is commonly user error... make sure the shooters grip is not riding the slide stop.

Your description of malfunction #2 sucks so its hard telling... but I'm going to vote for weak springs or fucked up extractor.

6. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Should have bought a Glock. /Glock sack rider

Try different ammo and mags (not at the same time). Friend has an RIA that would hang up on the feed ramp, changed the ammo and the problem went away.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Check the grip on the first problem. I find that I do that myself on my 1911 when my weak hand thumb bumps up against the slide stop causing it to engage prematurely.

8. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Truth hurts don't it?

Oh wait...........in this case, truth doesn't feed. :mamoru:

9. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Troll Troll Troll your boat..

pics of your 1911?

10. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

1911s can be picky on magazine choices, ammo choices and proper lubrication. Yes thats right, unlike most of the popular on the internet guns (glocks, AKs, 10/22, 500s, 870s) you actually have to clean it and lube it properly.

Also I took the barrel off mine and a small dremel polishing wheel with some jewelers rouge to the feed ramp. It feeds alot better now.

How many rounds are through yours? That problem can also pop up when the recoil spring is worn out (6-700 round)

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

12. BROKE

BROKE Mr. Selfdestruct

same here

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd be so pissed if I ever paid more than say $250 for a gun that didn't work with the magazines it came with :rofl:

14. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

yeah, extractor isnt getting over the rim

15. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I'm gonna go with the others and say possible user error. (Grip problem.)

Hi-cap 1911s are *generally speaking* more likely to encounter reliability issues than regular ones; although honestly I don't know why. If "the extractor isn't getting over the rim" then it may be that the extractor is too tight. Have him take the slide off the frame and then insert a round into the extractor claw on the slide. Then wiggle the slide some; the round should also wiggle but not fall out unless you're being agressive. If it falls out it's too loose, if it doesn't wiggle hardly at all then it's too tight.

Also. Do *not* Dremel the feed ramp unless it's noticably rough to your finger. If it's already smooth, polishing it to a mirror finish *will* seriously jack things up and you may need to get a new barrel. If it's an aluminum-framed gun with the feed ramp in the frame and you polish THAT, now you're looking at sending the frame off to get a new ramp welded over the polish job.
    Dremels are the enemy of 1911s.

:cool: