need help hooking up a wireless router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Orkin Yards, May 10, 2003.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

Ok here is the deal

My g/f got a new laptop for school and the school gave her a wireless card so she can be on internet at school....well at home they have and OLD pos comptuer running windows 98 that is hooked up to a DSL modem...the DSL modem is USB and has no ethernet connections....she bought a wireless router oping to have wireless internet at the house but she doesn't have a network card in the desktop and the modem doesn't have ethernet connections.....

what needs to be done??

does she need to get a network card, and a non-usb modem and go from there or what? thanks in advance

jeff

2. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Call your DSL provider and ask them if they will replace your USB modem with a real one that has ethernet connections.

Does the old POS computer have an ethernet port?

Is it 98 First Edition or Second?

3. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

get a NIC card from radioshack or officemax

4. Claydus

Claydus Active Member

she would most likely change interent config everytime she wants to browse at home and at school...... hence different proxys and firewalls

5. Zourn

If both the home and school computers have DHCP running then I don't see where there'd be a problem, keep in mind he said new laptop, and I went with the assumption that it had WinXP, which has the ability to store several different wireless profiles, each having their own securiy and WEP key settings.

6. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards 5.9 Limited, have you driven one lately?

yea she has xp pro on her laptop....not sure if 98 on the desktop is first or 2nd i would assume 2nd....

7. Zourn

if it does have second , then check with your DSL provider about trading in your old modem for one with an ethernet port. Buy a NIC at Officemax or where-ever for $15. Hook the modem into the WAN port, hook up the desktop to the port one. Make sure you set up the router to send out DHCP addresses. after that you should be good to go.