Need help hooking up a sub

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dethfat, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Dethfat

Dethfat New Member

I want to hook up my Solo Baric L7 to my amp, it has 2 positive and two negative...what is the best way to wire that?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

If that's the case it's probably dual voice coil, what is the impedance (ohms) of each coil? What is the recommended power for the sub? What is the power output of the amp (list ratings for 2,3, and 4 ohms)?

Answer those three questions and we should be able to help you.

3. Dethfat

Dethfat New Member

2 ohms , 1500 power amp recommended, 200 watts RMS (400 watts RMS at 2 ohms)

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Ok, I did some homework for you. 1500Watts is the max power, not RMS. Max means very short peaks of power, RMS means continuous power. It is recommended at 750Watts RMS. I'd say your amp is too small for the power requirements, so be careful when turning the volume up. Also, your sub comes in both a 2ohm model and a 4ohm DVC (dual voice coil model).

My guess is you have the DVC model if you have 2 sets of jacks on it. In this case, I'm guessing each coil is 2ohms, which means if you wire it in series it will be a 4ohm load, and in parallel it will be a 1 ohm load. This is not good because your amp is probably not stable at 1 ohm, which means you need to run it at 4 ohms. But, your amp only puts out 200Watts RMS at that impedance (4 ohms) which is less than a third of the recommended power. Don't you have an owner's manual? If so, look to see if it shows the different wiring recommendations. IF it can be wired for 2 ohms (meaning each individual coil is 4 ohms, and in parallel will become 2 ohms), then that's what you want. If it only gives you an option for 1ohm or 4ohms, I would either get a new (more powerful) amp that can either do 750Watts at 1ohm or 4ohms (either works), OR get the 2ohm version of your sub.

Hm, that was a mouthful.