Need Help Getting New Server. Standalone vs. Rack Mount?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Nov 18, 2004.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

My new project at work is to work on replacing our File and Print Server. We currently have a Dell Poweredge 2500SC dual processor, 2gig ram, RAID, blah, blah, blah...

We are starting to get low on HD space and plan to move this server to our other location and get a new one for the location I'm at.

Which comes to the question of should we get another standalone server like what we have now, or should we look into a rack mount system?

Are there any advantages/disadvantages worth looking at?

We are definitely going with a Dell, but just starting to look at my options.

This server runs our maintenance management system, ERP, Quality Control... pretty much everything.

Any ideas, or recommendations?

Thanks,

2. BagdHoe

BagdHoe Draggg it!!

If budget allows, I'd go rack mount. It keeps the server off the floor and less dust. I use all rack mount servers at my work.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Is storage your only constraint or issue? If so, why not just invest in a small scalable storage solution. Get a compatable HBA and a DAS/NAS/SAN. Their DAS' with disks are pretty cheap. There are other storage possibilities as well. The Fastora IDE NAS is also a pretty good solution.

But if storage is not the only contraint, then you need a new box. If you can afford it and have the right environment, get a rack mount. Meaning, you have a data center or small air conditioned office with halon, etc, get a rack mount. If this is going into a cubicle, there's no point.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

No hard drive space is not the only issue. It is one of the biggest, but I also need to put a server in our other location, so the plan was to use the current FP server and then get a new one for here.

We have an A/C'd server room BTW.

Thanks, I'll look into the rack mount options some more.

Anyone familiar with any Dell rack-mount systems? This will replace our PowerEdge 2500SC. Any model suggestions?

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

suggestion : get a genuine intel chassis.

much better than what dell puts out... usually cheaper, too.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

:ugh: :slap:

Anyhow, the Dell racks are awesome - easy to use and setup new servers in, and if you get the QuickRails options, server maintenance is a snap. If your company doesn't want to invest in a full-height enclosed rack, go for one of the smaller ones - I think they have a 36" and a 48" version - and save yourself some time on maintenance.

Definitely go for the rack - if needbe, you can get a conversion kit for your existing 2500SC to make it rackmountable, but if you're deploying it to a second location you may not want to do this.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yeah, if catching fire is awsome :lol:

8. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

ROFFEL ROFFEL ROFFEL ROFFEL ROFFEL Shut the fuck up.

9. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Is space an issue? Are you planning on adding servers? We have 18 servers in two cabinets taking up about 30" x 50" floor space each. The racks have their own UPS, KVM, keyboard, monitor, etc. One cabinet also holds our firewalls, routers and a few switches. Each cabinet is only 1/3 full plenty room for expansion.

We have NEVER had a Dell server fail outright. The worst issues we have had were failed drives (in hot swappable redundant systems – pull the bad install the good – no down time) and a dead NIC out of the box. (Wish I could say the same for the HP, Compaq or any other manufacture we have had.)

The cost of the machines are a LITTLE higher (about $200 difference between similar equipped 2800 series servers including mounting).

Storage space is not really an issue; our latest purchase was a 2850 w/dual Xeon 3.2's 4 gigs ram, 3 terabytes including 2 attached chassis. If you need more you should look into Fibre Channel...

You cannot go wrong with any of Dell's. We usually stay away from 'SC' series servers which are not meant to be redundant, high availability and high performance servers but we do have a couple in remote sites. The new 2850/1850 servers are VERY nice! Which server is dependent on your needs, the big difference between the 28xx/18xx servers is the drive space (space for drives - including tape drives...)

10. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

We've got a couple of the Poweredge 2650's at work. One runs our exchange for about 75 people with lots of power to spare, the other runs a POS application for the arena I work in, which is about 85 tills. No slowdowns with that one either. Both are dual xeon 2.4's with HT and 2gb of ram.