Need help freeing up C: drive space

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sleepy71, Sep 16, 2004.

1. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Running Windows XP. I've used all the automatic uninstallers to free up space from old programs I no longer use, but still need to remove other files. What can I do to manually remove some dead files on C: drive?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

what do you mean about "dead" files? ones you don't use anymore?

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've used a program called Ace Utilities on a few machines. It gets rid of temp files and such, which frees up a bit of space.

4. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

That's my technical term for files that aren't removed by Uninstallers. I'm wondering if there are any commonly "left behind" files that I must manually delete.

5. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

After you do an uninstall, just look in the Program Files folder and see if there's still a folder for the program you uninstalled :dunno:

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I really doubt that those 'dead' files take up much space...

How about a new hard drive? You can get at least a 120-160 gig drive for under $100.

7. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

I just got a 160GB as a slave drive. This is on my master 40GB. It's partitioned 5/35, but it's saying I've only got ~150MB free space on C:. For the longest time, when installing programs, I put them on D, but I know there are some files (common files?) that go to C:. I've already switched my pagefile to D: and also my Temp Internet files to D:. Is there anything else I can switch over? Or should I just blast the whole thing and start over? Fortunately for me, I've got cable internet, so downloading all the necessary updates and such is not that big of a deal, but it's still very time consuming. Just trying to NOT have to do it that way. [/longwinded]

8. 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 New Member

get another hard drive

9. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Why? I already have 2. Did you read my previous post?

10. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

disk cleanup

11. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Depends on what you do with your computers, 5GB isn't a whole lot... for the C:, and why install programs on D:? Doesn't really make much sense to me. You will get better performance if you let NTFS have the whole drive.

Anyways... here are a few things to look into:

1. check how much space is reserved for your swap file (for virtual memory), set a static size for it and place it on another partition.

2. check how much space is reserved for System Restore on your C:

3. Check how much space is reserved for recycle bin

4. Check how much space is reserved for your web browser. Use no more than 80-100MB...

If you didn't look into those places before that could probably give you another 500MB - 1GB out of your 5G patition...

12. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

Best advice yet!! I've done 1 & 3 before, but I need to go back and verify #1, since I've installed SP2 since then and it might have reset it to C:. Thanks for this input.

13. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

welcome...

I would advice that in the future, having a system partition (C in this case) with a larger volume than 10GB is adviced. In fact, a lot of the games will take up GBs of spaces. Even if you don't play game, some software that uses temp files will typically use C. Besides, when you want to ghost your system, you need to do both C and D in your case anyways... So, not much benefit out of those...

14. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest

It's probably gonna come down to me just re-partitioning my 40gig drive. I'm not too fired up about it, but if that's what I gotta do...

15. sleepy71

sleepy71 Guest