SRS Need help for a friend - abortion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by scarletbegonia, Aug 24, 2007.

1. scarletbegonia

scarletbegonia New Member

I have a friend that became pregnant unexpectedly about 5 weeks ago. She's 16 and we've looked up the laws in our state (Georgia) and she has to have told her parents in order to get an abortion. The problem is that we can pretty much assume that her parents wouldn't let her have it for one, and they would most likely kick her out of the house as well. We've heard some things about her being able to do it with the company of another adult (aunt/counselor) but aren't completely sure if that's true. We've also had trouble getting a hold of Planned Parenthood over the phone and don't know where we could possibly email them (we've checked that site as well). Her boyfriend's parents are about in the same mentality and will for sure kick him out of the house and she is running out of options. If anyone knows anything that could help please post.

-Adri

2. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Fess up. tell the parents. they made the choice of risking this when they made the choice to have sex. thats an adult choice. im sure if they were mature about it and showed their parents they understand that because of their mistake, a baby will die, the parents will let them do it.

3. scarletbegonia

We've tried convincing her to tell her parents but that hasn't gone anywhere. She's obviously going to have to if we don't find a way around it, we're just looking for information at this point.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

i prefer giving the child up for adoption. If that's not a valid option then

http://www.optionline.org/

Seems to have the information that you want , which you can obtain by calling or e-mailing them.

5. scarletbegonia

Adoption would be a very valid option if her situation with her parents wasn't so intolerant. and Thank you so much for the link, it was really helpful. Especially the instant message helpline.. for anyone else that is looking for help.

6. MudRacer4x4

MudRacer4x4 New Member

she may be alittle to late for the "plan b pill" but I would look into it. Go onto planned parenthoods web site and see what they say.

I would advise against telling the parents. Do some research online and call them and then send someone whos 18 into get it.

7. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

Unfortunately, that needs to be taken within 72 hours. Don't let her take it now because it might either just cause brain-damage in the child, or cause a partial abortion, which would be an emotional nightmare to go through.

8. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

there have been no studies done to prove that damage can be caused to the fetus

it just won't work and it'll just release a bunch of hormones.

my advice would be to go to planned parenthood in person. trying to get them over the phone or email may take some time. try to convince her to talk with a family member that is more understanding of her or closer to her than her parents may be. and have them help her with her decisions or how to break it to her parents. either way her parents are going to find out sooner or later, whether she keeps the baby or aborts it. if they allow another adult/family member to be there, someone has to pay for it and she's gonna have to go home to recooperate.

if shes freaking out and can't handle talking to her parents then you may wanna try talking to them. and legally, i don't think parents can kick their child out of house and home if they're underaged

good luck with everything.

9. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

I must have been thinking of something else. You're right.

Either way, no point of paying for it if it won't work, definitely not at 5 wks.

10. scarletbegonia

I offered to go talk with her parents about it with her but she's not even considering it. She's been putting off a lot of things, like calling planned parenthood.. I guess I understand that it must be tough (psychologically and physically) and putting off dealing with it may be a typical thing but it's getting late and she needs someone to push her to get something done. The baby's not going to wait around for her to decide what/if she will tell her parents or how she will deal with it. As soon as I get my car back I'm going to take her to a women's pregnancy center near us, but it doesn't perform abortion. The website that I got it from had a AIM screen name help line and the person I talked to said that none of the centers listed on the website actually perform abortions. They just give you information about it and emotional support afterwards, but don't refer you to a place or help you to get one. I know this isn't going to do much towards finding out if she can get it but I thought to give it a shot since it's so close by. Thank you all for the helpful posts.. and if you find out or already know any information about Georgia abortion laws and if there is a way to avoid telling a parent if the situation is tight, please let me know.