Need help finding a good COMPONENT video selector

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by El Beaner, Jan 4, 2005.

1. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Ok everyone, I just got my first TV that accepts Component video inputs and all I have to say is DAMN!! I have always used either coax or standard video cord but never S-video or component video. The picture difference is VERY noticable and I am happy. Now what I need is a selector so that I can hook up multiple component video items to the TV. My TV only has one set of component inputs and currently I am using it for my DVD player but want to be able to hook up my Xbox, PS2 and DVD to it. So my only choice is to get a selector. I recently bought and RCA A/V selector but it does not offer what I am looking for(bought it prior to getting my TV due to needing to connect multiple electronics to my old TV that only had one set of A/V inputs)

Now I have looked around and the only one I have found that sounds decent is the JVC JX-S111 but home audio/video equiment is not my line of expertise. Any help OT could be would be greatful.

Side note I am also wanting help on choosing new cables as well. Currently My Xbox uses Monster A/V cables and standard for my DVD and PS2(basically what it came with) I have been contiplating getting Monster component video cables for the PS2 and DVD player but want to make sure that is the best route to go.

2. 95YJ

95YJ Guest

3. 95YJ

95YJ Guest

negative, stay away from Monster, they are overpriced pieces of shit

4. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Then wahat would be recommended for cables?

5. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

I was in the same boat not too long ago and bought one. Eventually, I ended up buying a home theater receiver later and I regretted not doing that in the first place.

If you're only using the TV's speakers you can have another huge jump in quality by upgrading to a HT receiver and using that as your AV switch as well. You don't have to go crazy and drop a bundle on a 5.1 system, just running a stereo set up would be a huge improvement in itself. Check out some reviews for a modest receiver and speakers. It's worth looking into.

6. Craig91

Craig91 New Member

Are there any cons to having the switch? Does the quality of the connections suffer at all with having to go in/out of that box? I'd like to be able to do the same thing w/ my PS2 and XBOX, but I don't believe my TV has enough component inputs in it to do all of them at one time.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

technically, any time you add a connector or adaptor, you impact signal quality. Whether or not you notice it is a different story.

8. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

troof. I wish I would have replaced my receiver when I bought my source selector, because now that it's starting to age, the quality is getting horrible.