need help finding a balance

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by caucasion, May 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caucasion

caucasion New Member

im currently 5'10" 205 pounds. most of my bodyfat is around my stomach region. im trying to stay around this size, but gain muscle. Im in the police academy monday through fiday and cannot exactly lift everyday, however we do run 2-3 miles a day and do pushups situps flutterkicks lunges, squats, side bends. after that we do an hour of defensive style fighting. my issue arises with weight loss. ive been doing all of this for the past few weeks but have only seen results in my running times. my pushups and situps may have increased slightly in total amount, and my lunges seem to be my best thing. i wake up @ 4:30am and eat usually 2 bowls of cereal, or two peanut butter sandwiches. class starts @ 6am and lunch is 10am or 11am. lunch consists of a lunchmeat sandwich, pretzels, a gatorade, and some type of fruit. spmetimes lunch may be spagetti w. meatball or a subway sub (usually the club).we work out @ 3pm and i usually eat dinner around 6-7pm. dinner is usually either rice, pasta, sometimes chicken or sometimes a sandwich again. i know im eating only three meals a day, but i cant think of how to fit in smaller meals. every hour we get a 15 minute break, but im afraid if i eat too much in the mornings, ill overdo it. if i eat too late, i might puke during the running. i usually fit a bag of pretzels or something small in between some of the breaks for a snack, but feel as if im not eating the right things.

as for why I dont lift, by the time the end of the day comes, im already "worked out". i usualyl do one day of cardio on friday sat or sunday and when i asked an instructor if i should work out with weights on the weekends, he suggested not to because i might overdo it, but it all depends on my bodytype.

if you guys can think of anything let me know and ill answer

2. caucasion

caucasion New Member

also, i put up 185 10x without warming up recently. it came out to aroudn 246 on a one rep max calcualtor which isnt that bad. when i was 175 i was maxing about 255. but that was 2 years ago

3. tominos

tominos New Member

you probably have to eat smaller portions more frequently. you seem to be exercising quite frequently already.

4. MP18

MP18 New Member

you need to provide consistent overload stimulus for your muscles to grow, and aside from that you are getting hardly any protein in that diet, not many calories either.

your pushups or situps are going to stagnate as well unless you get stronger, which isnt done by doing hundreds of pushup and situps.

from your schedule, and exhaustion levels that you say, it seems like you should hold off on the muscle building until the academy is over, putting on muscle requires a lot of time and effort

5. Layman

Layman New Member

Why the hell are you eating so much in the morning?

6. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

that isnt a lot

7. toeshoes

toeshoes Guest

way too much carbs dude.

8. caucasion

caucasion New Member

im eating 2 bowls of cereal or the peanut butter, not both. i thikn if i can somehow wake up and cook eggs in the morning, split my lunch into two different ones, eat a can of tuna when i get home and then eat a lower carb dinner (possibly chicken or steak) it would sound betteR.

9. Layman

Layman New Member

For a guy trying to lose weight at his level of activity, it is.

10. Layman

Layman New Member

Yeah, I get that.

That's still a lot of food. Are you even hungry by the time lunch rolls around?

And when are you working out? Like when during the day do you run, etc? edit- nm, you're working out at 3pm. There's no need for such a huge breakfast.

11. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

sure there is. two fucking bowls of cereal is not a huge breakfast.

12. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

:werd: that shit's a snack

13. Layman

Layman New Member

For a guy who isn't actively building muscle all day (note: no weight lifting), probably doesn't have a high motabolism, and is just sitting in a desk until lunch, there's no real need for 600 calories of cereal and milk right off the bat.

Have a bowl in the morning and bring a breakfast bar with you to eat around 9am or so when you start getting hungry.

FWIW, I wake up at 7am ish, have two packets of oatmeal (read 200 cals) around 8:30, and am fine until 11:30 or so.

14. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

he didn't say he's trying to lose weight

15. Layman

Layman New Member

Fine - lose fat. Same thing... unless he's going to convert it to muscle. :hsugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.