SRS need help figuring out what to do next...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by amac88, May 7, 2009.

1. amac88

amac88 New Member

A bit of background first, I started out about three years ago going to college right out of high school, majoring in journalism. After finding out that was pretty much a joke, and failing several classes anyway, I quit and moved to a new city. I started going to automotive school and within a few months I met the most wonderful girl I could ever ask for, Tiffany. She and I have been through alot, more than most couples go through their first year, but we still deeply love each other.

However, thats not what this post is about. I graduated automotive school, and managed to find a job at a Nissan dealer as a lube tech. However, like many nowadays, I was quickly let go, the reason was I "wasnt quick enough". Almost all of the technicians hated their jobs, and werent making any money. They pretty much all told me to get out of it while I could (Im 21), and find a real career. After doing some research online I found that almost everyone in the auto industry is saying this.

Ive thought about it, and decided that maybe working on cars just isnt for me. I like working on them, but at my own pace. I also had a hard time in auto school. What do you guys think? Should I look into another career? I would feel bad though that I spent $20 grand to go to school and got nothing out of it. I kinda wish I had known this before I started school, however if I had never moved, I wouldnt have met the love of my life.

I need something that has guaranteed pay, and steady hours. I cant go back to school now though, Im engaged, and wouldnt have the money anyway. Plus, Im afraid Id end up back where I was, failing classes because I found no motivation in them.

I do love history, and am pretty smart in all areas, I love playing along with quiz shows. I judt dont know what to do right now. I need some kind of job and career.

2. jim1234664

jim1234664 New Member

there is a few jobs that pay well but require no education, a lot of these are in the automotive field, like salesman, service writer ect. (although they are performance based)

3. Sure why not?

Sure why not? New Member

I dropped out of college after 2 years and did some crappy jobs. But now I'm just finishing my first semester at a community college (dirt cheap/switched majors) and will be going to the state U in the fall. Best decision I ever made no matter how long it takes me or how much it costs.

4. skierd

skierd Member

For me, the motivation to do well in school comes from wanting to be in the classes I'm taking. If I'm not interested, I'm not there, physically, mentally, or both.

At 21 a job is more important than a career. Get another tech job somewhere. Deal with having to speed up, just don't get sloppy. Take courses at your local community college and explore options. Take a few history classes. Take a few other classes. See what sticks. Figure out what you want out of life, and start looking in fields that will put you into position to attain it.

5. amac88

amac88 New Member

I hope eventually, I can combine the two, history and cars, by restoring classic cars. That takes alot of money, but I was inspired by a guy I met in New Mexico who owned a restoration shop. He sold all the cars he restored, plus sold tshirts and stuff. He made $500 a DAY on average not including selling a car eevery couple months or so, and this was a tiny shop he ran in the middle of NOWHERE.

6. JBunni

JBunni New Member

I would definitely suggest finding at least a part time job to help support yourself. As far as a career, if you find a good tech school you can get started with an Associates and if you pick a field you want to continue in, you can transfer to a larger school to get your bachelors. Definitely dont pass up a job opportunity though, a lot of place now are looking for experience rather than schooling.