Need help fast!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by volumecontrol, Feb 24, 2007.

1. volumecontrol

volumecontrol New Member

Ok, this might be a bit long, but bear with me...

I was visiting a friend recently and he left his computer unprotected when he went to take a shower. Being the prankster I am, I decided to take a screenshot of his background and replace his icons, minimize the start bar, etc., a harmless quick PC prank with no (or so I thought) consequences.

Unfortunately, the next time he used his computer he couldn't figure out what was wrong and thought there was a virus. Then (this is when I was at a buddies place), performed a full system restore to the day before (before I pulled my little prank).

Now, his computer is screwed (seemingly). It takes a good 5 minutes to even get into WinXP, and when you finally do, there is only the wallpaper and the mouse cursor. It takes another 5 minutes of screwing around with Task Manager and starting/restarting explorer.exe before I can get the icons to show up, and then (if I'm lucky), the start menu shows up. Only it's not helpful at all, as NO programs show up in the taskbar. I see programs in the quick launch area, and the runnning applications area, but if I had 50 windows open, I wouldn't know it unless I alt-tabbed through all of them. The search function in windows doesn't respond anymore, the 'windows installer' doesn't work anymore, and he can't get onto the internet. The recycle bin keeps notifying me that it's 'corrupt,' but no matter what I do it stays that way. I decided the best thing would to just re-restore it back to another restore point, but guess what? System Restore is broken and keeps giving me an error. I then just said I would back up all I can (he has a 300 GB HDD), and reformat, but for some reason I can't drag and drop (or copy and paste) files in Windows Explorer, which is the only way I could back up his stuff -- I was going to put it on my iPod. The only thing I can do is burn CDRs, but I only have 2, and he has a minimum of 2 gigs to back up!

So please, if anyone has the slightest inkling of what to do in this situation, please help. We're both in college and I barely have money for myself, let alone to buy a ton of CDrs to back up all his stuff.

*Note, I am posting from my laptop (a macbook pro), and he has a Dell desktop with XP).

2. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Smooth. You should not do that in the future.

Boot from the XP CD and choose to do a Repair instead of a new install. It will well...repair the existing install by replacing all system files, but it won't overwrite registered programs or user data. That will probably fix it. If not...then wow, System Restore really hosed it.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Maybe try a different restore point?

4. volumecontrol

volumecontrol New Member

System Restore doesn't work anymore.

And @ Jay: That's what I was thinking of doing, but I wanted to make sure all his stuff is backed up just in case, which is hard when I'm doing it 800 megs at a time, and need to go to the store to get more CDRs.

5. Doc Brown

If you are doing a repair, you don't need to back stuff up.
    It only messes stuff up when you go into the recovery console.

6. JayC71

JayC71 Guest

Right, a restore won't delete any user data or installed programs. It basically gives you a fresh OS with your data and programs intact. And yep, be careful with Recovery Console, you can do some damage there if you're not familiar with it.

7. volumecontrol

volumecontrol New Member

Ok so I've been trying to reinstall the system files without any luck. I have a windows xp pro cd with a valid cd key, but setup keeps saying it can't detect the cd drive unless I'm in windows (in which case it works fine). Any way of getting around this problem or a fix?

8. Doc Brown

Two questions:

Are you trying to boot from the cd, or are you trying to access the disc from windows?

Is the cd drive, an sata dvd burner?

9. volumecontrol

volumecontrol New Member

OK, I got everything working again...I had to have a friend come in who knew more than me. Everything is like it was before, and everyone is happy.

Thanks for all who tried to help.

10. Doc Brown

So what did he do?

I have to ask this?? :slap: