Need Help! Eclipse GST

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kuno, Apr 22, 2006.

1. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

I have a '98 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST. Bought it used of course, and it seems the guy who had it before modified it and put it back to stock.. after pounding on the car a good bit.

It's not running smoothly at all. Here are the list of problems that I've been having, if anyone has any suggestions, please help!

1. Runs out of oil a lot
    2. White smoke out of exhaust, not all the time but a lot when it does
    3. Idle is not smooth
    4. When driving at constant speed, idle RPM's will fluctuate
    5. The car died on me once already and couldn't start it up for a bit. Then I finally was able to.

It seems to be leaking oil, but no where on the ground. Is it ending up somewhere else? I suspect the turbo is having problems too.

Any suggestions would help!

Thanks

2. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

White smoke=burning coolant.
    Blue smoke=burning oil

You could have a popped head gasket.

Why did you buy it if it had all those issues?

3. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

sounds like you bought a whole lot of problems ahead. more likely the head gasket is blown and the turbo need to be rebuilt/replace. the idle fluctuating shit could be a million things: air leak, incorrect a/f ratio, bad air flow meter, etc..

How do i know? i used to have a MKIII supra lol. used + old + turbo = unreliable POS. but that thing can god damn run its asses off though.

4. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Guy who sold it to you is grinning ear to ear.

5. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

Actually if I was at the dealer testing it I would have spotted these problems from the begining. However my little brother did it without me and knows jack shit even about basics. So he inherited all these problems. I'm taking care of the car for the moment.

Is the color blue noticable if it was smoking? It seems to be white to me.

How much do head gaskets go for on a '98 eclipse? I'm not a gear head when it comes to these things so more than likey I'm going to have to have someone take a look and replace it for me.

As for the turbo, how much to get it rebuilt? Or should I just think about buying a new one? However I don't think I'd be buying a new turbo-can't afford that.

Thanks for all your help! This at least gives me someonthing to keep moving forward..

6. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

i would just say sell the car

7. FULL-REV

FULL-REV OT Supporter

you can buy a used t25 turbo for like 135 bucks around there

are you getting any check engine lights?

the engine could be losing oil from the oil seal on the turbo. damn could be alot of things man... and i'm lazy to type

8. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

Yeah I know :( there could be so many things. And yup, getting a check engine light almost all the time.

Seems like if I could replace the head gasket and get a new turbo it'll fix a couple of the major problems.. if these are the causes.. and it seems that way with a lot of these eclipses from the research I did.

9. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

If you are going to replace the turbo get either a 14b or a 16g (reccomended). You can run them on the stock fuel systems if you keep it below 13ish psi. The T25 is absolute crap.

A head gasket isn't gonna cost much, I would reccomend either a cometic gasket, or a Mitsubishi MLS. The cost is gonna be mostly in the labor, since the entire head has to come off.

10. Wilddog

Wilddog OT Supporter

If you have a vented bov, that may be the cause of your aweful idle. Because the ecu thinks the motor is getting X amount of air, when in reality its getting less due to the bov not returning air back to the intake. By the sounds of it, your motor is gone. I would highly suggest going the route most of us dsmers go, 6 bolt motor swap.

One more point, join dsmtuners.com. You will get far better answers there than here. Goodluck

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  11. red97gst

red97gst New Member

head gasket itself is cheap as hell, but the labor is what will cost ya. Expect to pay around $1500 total. But with the head off the car, you'll be (mechanic will be) able to see most of the other problems the motor might have. Change the water pump while that's being done, along with the timing belt. Those parts in and of themselves are dirt cheap, but its the labor thats a pain, so get it all done with the head off.

If it's white smoke, your turbo may not be in bad shape. Could be burning oil for a number of reasons, hell , coudl even be somethign REAL bad like your piston rings are fried and you basically shoudl replace the entire motor.

If the motor is in good shape, you can get the stock T25 turbo for $100-150 used. IF you want to upgrade, get a 'big' T28 turbo (basically a T25 with bigger wheels) and that will bolt right up. But youre looking at maybe $350-500 for a used one of those. Otherwise just keep it stock.

Not sure if there are any reputable DSM shops around Wichita, but as someone else said, join and get answers on dsmtuners.com, and there's also some info on dsmtalk.com

12. Kroze

Kroze Active Member

like everything else in a car, it's not the parts but the labor that kills you.

Headgasket cost like $800+, while the head is out, it is wise to replace what they've listed (waterpump, thermostats,timing belts, seals). In other words, $1500 for that shit.

Turbos, don't fucking buy a used turbo for $130 and have it blow up 2000 miles later. send your current one out to get it rebuilt ($~150) and you it'll come back looking brand new with all new internal parts. you'll also know that it'll last you much much much longer than a used turbo.

Buying a brand new turbo will cost ya $700+ and don't forget the labor...a few more hundred dollas.

---------------------------------

It's best that...if you can't do most of the shit yourself, sell the freaking car. it's a money pit in your situation being that you both are not mechanically incline.

13. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

DO NOT replace the t25 with another one, it is such a piece of crap. You can get a T28 which is a straight bolt on for the 2g, or the next best bet would be a 16g. All you need is an install kit. Even without any of the supporting mods (injectors, exhaust, etc) the car will rip in comparison to the stock turbo.

14. kuno

kuno .... OT Supporter

I appriciate all of your advice everyone! The car is still being paid off.. it's got about $1k left to be paid off. I think it might just be best to sell this thing and buy a used car that's a bit more reliable.

Right now I'm just putting oil in and changing out fluids just so it wont die on me. I don't want this thing to be a money pit.. but it's probably got about $500 worth of maintenance done on it in the past and I don't see spending anymore.

15. TopLap

TopLap Full of Fail and AIDS: UGA Football

head gasket possibly. change the oil. if there is a sweet smell to it or its an odd consistancylike wate/oil mix...ya your fucked...new motor

16. MR. Marti

MR. Marti New Member

how many miles are on the motor? what mods does it have? did it start acting up all of a sudden or was it struggling a bit for a while?

Check compression first. head gasket is possible, from what you have been saying i am not convinced that is what it is. Check for shaft play on the turbocharger, drain your oil and look for any inconsistencies in what comes out. Look for any streaks of color or anything along those lines.

17. 945liter

945liter New Member

I dont know how the T25s are cooled, but my 1g when i blew the turbo i was smoking white and blue like a horse i thought i blew the motor but wound up being the turbo blown. my COMPR was 160 160 159 160 on a 189k mile motor.

18. fallenauthority

fallenauthority OT Supporter

Your problem is probably a blown turbo. Take off your lower intercooler pipe and see if there is a big puddle of oil in it. When you blow the seals on your turbo you will leak some oil into the exhaust which will burn off as a white smoke. Im willing to put money on the fact that once you pop off that lower intercooler pipe you will have oil POUR out.

19. 4g63punk

4g63punk New Member

Hey man you need to get on some forums.. First of all there is dsm.org, second of all dsmtuners.com, and also dsmtalk.com...
    Those will help you alot. Btw dsmtalk.com ftw. Also you can try using the search tool at team nabr.. they are the elite when it comes to dsm's. The dsm world is all about how much you know about your car. And you need to get informed. Those all should help you with your problems..

20. 4g63punk

4g63punk New Member

I would have to disagree it just sounds like he does not know much about what he is doing. Don't sell it just learn about it and fix it.

21. DeeRock

DeeRock New Member

I think NABR went private, I don't think that you can even search there anymore.