Need help diagnosing problem badly

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kobeyman, Nov 24, 2003.

1. kobeyman

kobeyman Guest

My PC recently has been having this really bad problem where it kind of restarts itself. The computer tower will make this sound like it just lost power for a quick second and it also makes that shutting down sound. What happens is the computer restarts itself OR goes into this completely blank dead mode. It's so freakin bizarre! and it's really pissing me off. I'm not sure what is causing this problem: bad power supply?, bad motherboard?, spyware doing this?. I'm not sure if this is a common problem that people experience. Computer is about 4 years old running Windows 98. Please help. THanks
  2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Apr 22, 2001
    if it sounds like it's shutting off, my only guess would be be psu
  3. Rob

Rob Active Member OT Supporter

Jul 6, 2002
    Check the PSU, try plugging the computer into another wall outlet, and if none of that works opn up the case and look for places where something on the motherboard could be touching metal and shorting out.
  4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Jun 6, 2003
    It could be a number of things. Problems like this are very hard to troubleshoot. It's a little easier for me since I have a lot of spare parts I can usually try.

What kind of video card do you have? I had a video card fan die on me once and it would make the computer lock up, restart, and do whatever it wanted.

It took me to buy a new computer to find out what the problem was while I was putting some old parts back in.

Check the power supply, RAM, CPU... etc...

When's the last time you defragged?? Might me time for a format, since it may be a software problem.

Since you say you run Win 98, go to DOS and rename to or similar and just re-install Windows. Windows will think that 98 isn't already on there and replace all of the system files for you without losing any programs or settings.

5. Aeyeaws

Aeyeaws Guest

first thing to check is all the power managment settings in the bios and by the screensaver . turn off all types of sleep and power saving especially hard drive powerdown