Need help deleting file !

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by C4, Apr 30, 2004.

1. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

This bastard of a file will not delete :wtc:

its an .avi , and it keeps telling me the file is in use. Closed all apps, still no, reboot in safe mode..still no, killed ALL TSR's - still NO. Tried to remove using the app i downloaded the file with - NO.

dont know how to remove the cunt :(

any ideas?

2. owned

owned Guest

reboot the computer
    open command prompt (start -> run -> cmd)
    cd <directory name>
    del <filename>

There is some registry setting that tries to read avi files when you select them in windows explorer. If the avi file is large, this may take some time to complete.

3. tempus

tempus Going quietly insane. OT Supporter

Boot to Knoppix and delete? ;)

4. C4

C4 OT OG Aussie #1

tried command prompt but still no dice :/

5. owned

owned Guest

What's the error when you try to delete from the command prompt?

You can try the following:
    If your filesystem type is FAT32 then grab a Windows boot floppy disk and boot to the command prompt. Change to the directory where the AVI file is and delete it using the del command.

If your filesystem type is NTFS boot off the Windows install CD and go to the recovery console. Enter your administrator password and then change to the directory and delete.

6. I usually try to open the properties dialogue before attempting to remove these. Usually if you can do that, you can delete the file via cmd prompt or just right-click -> delete. Works for me :dunno:

7. ribsandbbqbeef

ribsandbbqbeef New Member

I had the exact same problem. I created a directory, moved all the files except the one I'm deleting to the new one. Delete the directory with the bastard file, and rename the new directory back to the original name. Viola! Hope it works for you as well.

8. nobody

nobody New Member

if the directory trick doesn't work (which it usually does) then first do start > run > cmd and leave that window open. then hit ctrl alt del (winxp, i hope) and then close explorer. then type the del command from cmd and you should be good to go. personally i am hoping microsoft will get this all worked out before longhorn.

9. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

be sure to also check the program that u viewed the avi with. if it saved it in its recent history then the comp reads that as still in use. just another idea to look into.

10. R-Type

R-Type The Bydo Empire must die!

You could try loading taskman (ctrl-shift-esc) and killing explorer.exe..then go to file-run under taskman and start cmd.exe...go in and delete the avi. Then restart explorer.exe using the same method if windows hasn't already restarted it for you. Yes, there is a dll for explorer that scans files of certain extensions whenever a directory is browsed.

11. Mirrorlure7M

Mirrorlure7M OT Supporter

I had the same damn prob .. And everytime I used WMP9 it would mess it up .. Just do the command stuff but when it comes to the del <filename use the first work of the avi. then put a * there and it should delete .. Tell me if this works ..

12. Ximian

Ximian New Member

Kill Explorer and open up 'cmd' from Task Manager