Need help deciding v. Macbook Pro or Macbook?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 24, 2006.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I'm sure this has been asked, but I'm going to again anyways.

I've been using my iBook G3 forever. I need a new computer.

This is what it comes down to. I already have a mouse and external Keyboard, an iCurve also. If I get the macbook this will be the specs

2.0 GHz processor (white)
    Superdrive
    60gig HD (upgradeable on my own later)
    2 GB ram (ordered off newegg etc)
    everything else will be stock, however I'll be buying a 20inch widescreen display, not apple but Viewsonic or Acer most likey.

Now for the Macbook Pro
    15inch Base Model
    2.16GHz processor
    2 GB ram (off newegg)
    128MB video memory
    120 GB HD (stock, won't need to up that)
    everything else stock.

The macbook pro will come out to like 2100 with the ram and apple care, my dad gets a Discount through work.
    macbook will be about 1550 with the ram and apple care, and then the monitor will be about 200-300.

The one thing I want to know, is that one of my teachers says I'm pretty good with Maya and I should keep on using it, and see if I can get better, possibly get fully trained as a Maya "guru" if college doesn't work. Regardless, I want a computer that'll be able to handle Maya and Photoshop. I've got a legal XP Profesional Serial Key that I'll be using for boot camp, so I can run Maya and PS in Windows untill they come out with intel versions.

I was wondering if the Macbook will be able to handle all that, AND on an external display, withs its 64 mb shared video memory. Also I'm assuming I can run basic games on the Macbook in XP, mainly Counterstrike and Unreal Championship.

Thanks a Ton

JESUS THAT IS LONG

CLIFFS: Macbook or Macbook Pro?

2. ady

ady New Member

You need a proper graphics card as far as I know.

3. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

if you're doing something that needs a dedicated video card (gaming, 3d work) get the pro, if you don't, the macbook will do.

that's basically what it comes down to.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

mbp > mb :bigok:

5. NightyNight

NightyNight OT Supporter

grats to you.

6. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Wait another 10 days or so for when they upgrade the regular Macbooks to see how they change them besides dropping in the Core "2" Duo? :dunno:

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Yeah, I won't be placing an order untill like Early November at the earliest, I'm thinking more around mid to late November, however my Dad will be buying a new computer for our family to use at the same time, so its all about how badly our current computer fails (7+ year old Dell, 128MB of ram, 500 MHz processor, Windoz 98, etc).

I'll stay on the look out. I really would almost prefer the smaller screen, but the shared memory is really making me a bit antsy. Has anyone tried running Maya on the Macbook? If anyone is realy (and I mean realy) bored and has a macbook, theres a free download for the learning edition (slightly stripped down Maya, but main thing is that theres a not for comercial use watermark), but it'll only work on PC. Or if anyone has it on a not so nice PC, care to share the specs?

8. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

i use maya for work, trust me when i say it, you'll want the dedicated video card...3d, video, motion graphics, you want as much power as you can get...

my friend has a macbook, i'll try and install it tomorrow for you...see how it works out...

9. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i love u, thanks a ton. will i be ok with 128 mb of ram? its mostly basic stuff from books and tutorials

10. ady

ady New Member

I think in the end if you want to run Maya then the macbook pro is the only choice, even if the macbook will run it off the GMA 950 you are going to be fighting with it every step of the way. It just isn't designed for it and if you are going to be investing alot of time into mastering and working in maya you will want the best computing experience you can get so that you enjoy being productive.

11. RG

RG New Member

am i the only one who likes the keyboard + latch better on the macbook?

12. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

I havn't really looked at the macbook pro too much honestly, but the keyboard is a bit too spaced for me on the macbook, but I'd adapt quickly.

Doesn't the mbp use the magnet also or is that only macbooks?

13. austincabot

austincabot New Member

I have a macbook and It works just fine, but I wish now that I would have gotten the pro. The size is great, but i really havent been carrying it to class as much as i thought i would. The new Core 2 Duos pros are out, so I'd get one of those if I were you.

14. Tvan

Tvan New Member

Get the Macbook Pro. Now that they have the Core 2 Duo and bigger hard drive, there is no reason why you shouldn't get one.

15. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

it works, but it's alright, small stuff is okay, but i brought some of my bigger projects from work and it started to stutter a bit. as long as you'er not doing anything super complex you should be okay...

and 128 megs of video memory? should be fine

i would go with the pro if you're going to do 3d stuff...spend the little bit extra now and save the heartache that'll be coming up.

16. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Yeah, I think I'm gonna push on the pro. Thanks a ton for all of your help and assistance, hopefully in a month or so we'll see a "Just pulled the trigger on a MBP" post.

17. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

if you got the $$$ get the pro version, I love my macbook but the intergrated video crap kinda sucks