Need help deciding on new vehicle

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by MZ2215, Apr 18, 2004.

1. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

So here in a couple weeks I'm gonna get rid of my pos car and get something new. I've narrowed it down quite a bit but am still having trouble deciding. I decided that I'm gonna need something with 4wd, and am leaning towards a smaller SUV. So far I'm down to a Jeep Cherokee, Jimmy/Blazer, or an Explorer, I'm mainly looking at the 2 door versions of all that are listed as I don't really want a 4-door. I've also looked at the extended cab 4wd rangers. I'll have around 8k to work with:hs:. I really like the 2 door explorers but I don't know if I can bring myself to buying a ford. I know alot of people will say go with the jeep, I love the 4.0L I6 cuz of it's reliability and all but I like the looks of the Jimmy's more.

I do alot of highway driving so comfort is a must, out of the 3 listed, which would you go with and why? Are there any big pitfalls of any of them?

2. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

I really like the jeeps, but they are everywhere around here and i'm not really sold on the interiors.....If i could find a quad cab dakota with a 5.9 around here for under 8k I would have already bought it:hs:

3. LUDECHRIS

LUDECHRIS Guest

Of those choices, i would also say go with a jeep. Jimmy/blazer is not impressive, and i dont' trust explorers to last more than 4 or 5 years tops (ive seen many of them develop too many problems after this point). However if you are open to foreign cars, then a 4runner is a great truck that will last you forever. Or if you're a little more budget oriented, then perhaps an xterra. Both will outlast their american counterparts and are equally capable.

4. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

The more I've been thinkin about it, I think I'm gonna go take a look at some hard top Wranglers later on this afternoon.......

5. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

Went to a dealer today and drove a 98 4cylinder (5spd.) wrangler with 90k on the clock. Wasn't overly impressed by the engine, wasn't all that dissapointed though. They wanted around 8k for it. My question is how much better are the 4.0's? I really haven't heard much about the 2.5, anything to look for? THe body was in great shape, no major dings or dents, underbody was cleaner and had less rust than the 02 that i looked at earlier.