Need help deciding on an atv

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by CREMATOR, Jun 12, 2007.

1. CREMATOR

CREMATOR New Member

since i have only ridden and owned dirtbikes i dont know much about quads. i am in the market for one that will be used only on trails. i did a little research and was thinking about either a honda 300ex or a yamaha raptor 350. if anyone has any experience with either of these let me know what you think. thanks

2. wreckless123

wreckless123 New Member

I am really not a fan of either, they are both dated machines and under powered. What kind of terrain will you be riding on? How big are you? What is your budget?

3. CREMATOR

CREMATOR New Member

i know that neither of them are very up to date or have great performance. however it will be stored at my summer house and will only be used about six months of the year. they have a simple trail system that goes around the lake there that doesnt have any jumps or anything challenging. i am 5'11" 175. budget is around 4 grand and i currently have a honda cr125 that is slightly modified if that can be anything to compare the speed to

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A CR125 will rape either of those quads. Why not get another bike?

5. CREMATOR

CREMATOR New Member

because for some stupid reason they dont allow any dirtbikes. only golf carts and atvs are allowed on the trails. :ugh: i know, its fucking stupid but i still want to get something.

6. wreckless123

wreckless123 New Member

I say get a used 02-05 Yamaha Raptor 660 which can easily be bought for that price. They are twice the quad as the ones you mentioned.

7. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I had a 2003 350 warrior (same as raptor 350). Had it less than a year and got a 04 Raptor 660 LE. World of difference. So I agree with wreckless.

On the other hand if they do not allow dirtbikes and only allow golf carts and atv's a raptor 660 will probably have them change their policy to not allow sport atv's. :rofl:

8. verticalINTENSEions

verticalINTENSEions New Member

dude you can easily get a suzuki z400 (which has reverse like the 300ex) or a honda 400ex for that budget. I've got a 2003 z400 and my brothers got a 2002 300ex and there is absolutely no comparison. I went from a CR125 to my z400 and i'm very happy. when i ride my bro's 300ex i wanna shoot myself becuase it has absolutely no power, it feels like riding a lawn tractor.