need help connecting computers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spur, Aug 31, 2004.

1. Spur

Spur Boomer

two options and no idea how to work them

1. USB cable type A (male) to type A (male). Don't know if this will even work or how... but it connects both computers together

2. Cat 5 ethernet cable... I just cannot get my network to work... I'm a rookie and would like step by step help

I just want to transfer my files and be done. Please HELP

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

To connect two computers together by ethernet (cat5) you need either a hub or a crossover cable. Get a hub and another cat5 cable or pick up a crossover cable (or recrimp the cable you have into a crossover if you know how).

That said, to transfer files over, I generally am in favor of pulling the hard drive out of the old machine, putting it in the new machine and transferring that way. Less hassle and faster transfer rate = teh win.

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Remember when creating a network with a crossover cable or just a hub you will need to assign the IP addresses to each machine.

Find your local area network setting (different places in different versions of Windows - Assuming you are using Windoes) Properties, Internet Protocal (TCP/IP), 'Use the following IP address' (Something like 192.168.0.1 and 2 with subnet of 255.255.255.0)

Seems a lot of network noob's spend hours trying to figure out why their network is not working when they just need an address...

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Good call, I wouldn't even think to tell someone that, I'd assume they know :embd: