Need help configuring my 5x5 program to only do twice a week temporarily.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by twist_of_fate, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I work about an hour away from where my gym is located and work between 10-12 hours a day. My schedule changed making my longer days M-W-F (previously my on days) and shorter T-Th. By the time I get home, my POS gym is only open for about another hour (on the shorter work days).

I'm trying to figure out how I can do the modded Bill Starr twice a week, rather than three times, for the next few months. It is possible that I may be able to get to the gym on Saturdays occassionally. The gym's hours are severely limited on the weekend. Things should go back to normal in about three months. So then I can get back on track.

I'm currently focusing on gaining overall stength, but drop about ten pounds. So if anyone has another 2-day program they could suggest for short term use, I'd gladly take any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

2. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Just do the 5x5 on the days you can, and do something bodyweight-circuit-type at home on the weekends? :dunno:

Any way you can go *before* work?

3. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I try to get as much as I can in in the two days that I have been able to go (new schedule started about two weeks ago). I just feel like I'm missing out if I don't get everything done throughout the week.

I have tried going before work. I have a two-year old and six-month old, and between the the two they wake me several times throughout the night. I generally don't get enough sleep, so it's making it real tough to get up in the morning.

It hasn't been a problem in the past, since my schedule previously allowed me to go in the evenings on M-W-F. I may just have to buckle down and lose an hour extra of sleep on those days.

4. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Try

A:
    5x5 Squat
    5x5 Bench
    5x5 Row

B:
    5x5 Squat
    5x5 Overhead press
    5x5 Deadlift

I'm seeing some great results.

5. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

That sounds like that might work. What type of row are you doing (bent over, upright, etc.)?

I almost want to go back to my high school football program. Which was Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and Hang Cleans. They were doing the Husker Power program, which I thought was pretty good, but haven't been able to find much information on it, without paying. The only problem was it was the same thing everyday, well every other day.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

I think a basic, heavy 5x5 full body like that would be good for twice a week honestly. Do it when you can, if you can sneak in a 3rd workout another day go for it, and just do what you can. Schedules really suck sometimes :hug:

7. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

stfu

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

That's a mighty sandy vagina you got there, boy.

9. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

well, it is beach/swim suit season

10. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:bowrofl:

11. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm going to have to possibly cut my lifting to 2 days a week and I'm thinking of switching to something similar to this...

...what type of rows (as was previously asked)?

I'll probably add in one or two excercises each day. Maybe 2x10-12 DB Inclines and Tricep extensions on day 1, and Pullups and Biceps on day 2.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.