Need help configuring dual boot Win Xp/linux

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Howie Feltersnatch, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Howie Feltersnatch

Howie Feltersnatch New Member

I have no clue as to how to do this so if someone can help, please lay it on me. Also I a relative noob to computers so go slow :o

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'm a big Linux supporter so I hate to say this, but if you're really a n00b, I wouldn't suggest doing a dual-boot. Setting up a Linux machine and using it is one thing, setting up a dual-boot is quite another.

However, if you really want to:

Start by either making another partition on your hard drive (partition magic can do this without loss of data apparently) or getting a second hard drive. I strongly suggest the second hard drive route, as it reduces the risk of losing data in the process and makes things easier and less scary in the long run (in my experience anyway).

Once you've got a second partition or hard drive, pop in the Linux CD and install Linux on the new partition/HD. I suggest Mandrake or RedHat for beginners, since the setup is very easy, and it can do a lot of it for you. Most Linux installers include a step in which you can setup a boot loader (LILO or GRUB) that will allow you to select the OS to boot on startup.

Hope that helps you, if you need more help, ask or check http://www.linuxdoc.org.

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I just set-up my laptop to dual-boot RedHat and WinXP. The most current version (v9) gives you the option to use either LILO or GRUB as your boot loader.

I reccomend that you at least read the x86 Installation Guide found at http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/ before you do anything, and at least skim through the Getting Started Guide.

4. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Does fips work on NTFS these days? Or is partition magic pretty much mandatory now?

5. Zourn

I tried a couple of diff progs to resize my NTFS partition and Partition Magic was the easiest/best. If you use the latest Knoppix Linux boot CD 3.2 it comes with ntfsresize which is text-based and not all that great, and qtparted, which is like a watered-down version of Partition Magic.

6. Howie Feltersnatch

Howie Feltersnatch New Member

Not trying to be a smartass, but why not a dual-boot? I already have a second HD, but I thought for dual boot it had to be on the master drive? I have RH v9, I have heard the most people recommend this, is this a mistake also? :dunno:

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've just had tons of problems over the years with partitioning and such. If you've got the OS's on separate drives then if you fuck up with one of them, you can still take that one out and boot off the other. I have mine setup with Linux on the master drive and NT on the slave drive. When I boot I see LILO (from the MBR of the master), and if I select Windows, I get the Windows boot loader from the MBR of the slave. Works great :)

I haven't used RH9, but it's said to be one of the more n00b-friendly distributions. Shouldn't have any big problem setting it up I'd say :dunno:

8. Zourn

If you can screw up the RedHat installation, then you shouldn't be using a computer.and yes, RedHat v9 is very noob friendly and they have great documentation on learning the Linux environment(see link in above post).