Need help configuring Azureus, my ratios suck :-/ v.oink

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DjShiznit, Jan 14, 2007.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So a fellow macshack member was kind enough to hook me up with an oink account. Unfortunately, the torrents don't seem to be seeding correctly :( For some reason, the NAT indicator (to the right of the ratio indicator) is red 90% of the time (has only lit up green once). I've attached a screen cap. I did configure my router's TCP/UDP ports, and the "NAT/Firewall test" now passes. Anyone have any idea as to what's wrong? Should I use a different client? I don't wanna be a leech, or tarnish said macshack member's rep (I understand the ratios are tracked). Any advice? Thanks in advance :)
    [​IMG]
    Everything seems to download well. I dunno what to do :dunno:

2. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

let's start with the basics

open azureus

go to preferences
    click transfer on the left hand options
    set upload speed to 0 (means unlimited)

see if that helps.

3. canIscream

canIscream Dog Crew is Best Crew

4. DjShiznit

I do have transmission. Is there any way to add the torrents I've already downloaded so that I can seed them, or do I need to re-download them? :dunno:

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Transmission doesn't work with OiNK.

And, thats just how OiNK is. Look at the ratios on the torrents, there are usually 0-2 leechers and like 20 Seeders, and the torrents that have like 5 or 7 have 400 seeders.

To get a good ratio on OiNK you have to upload your own stuff. Create the torrent yourself and then seed it for a few days. The only other way is to download something that is either a pre-release (I.E. the tupac album hit OiNK before it was released, so I seeded it immediatly and boosted my ratio).

What I did was I uploaded the Frank Sinatra Reprise collection at 320KB/s It came out to be about 1.5 GB or something like that, and I seeded it for like a week. Thats where my entire upload came from basically. Just find something that is on there in a lower Bitrate and then use iTunes to rip it at 320KB/s. Then upload that for a week.

Rinse and repeat, if you need help making m3u files for the playlists and uploading torrents, shoot me a PM or catch me on AIM (bye4now12)

6. DjShiznit

Wow I never would have realized just seeding material that you've downloaded wouldn't keep the ratio good. Thanks a lot of the info :bigthumb: I'll have to figure something out as far as upload material is concerned. I guess I just assumed leaving things up and running would seed enough material to earn a respectable ratio. I'll try to come up with something now :hs:

7. omgwtfbbqryan

omgwtfbbqryan OT Supporter

oink stresses me out :o

8. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Did you just tell him to download a torrent that is encoded with a low bitrate and re-encode it to 320 and then upload that?
    You have any idea how pissed some people would be to get a hold of that?
    Re-encoding a file from a lower bitrate to a higher one doesn't do anything to the audio quality. It only raises the file size.

And YES seeding files you downloaded via Oink WILL increase your ratio just like normal. My ratio is just fine and climbing well with only 2 things that I actually ripped from CD and uploaded. It might take while but they will seed.
    The reason they don't seed as well as those found on Demoniod (for example) is that there are more leechers and not all that many members.

The problem isn't if you're creating your own torrents, and from the screen shot it also isn't the fault of Oink. It's with your settings. I don't Azureus at all but that "Firewalled" to me seems to say that you're behind a firewall and the port that Azureus is using isn't open through the firewall.
    You need to figure out how to open the port in your firewall(s) and you should be seedng just fine.
    If you also check with Oink's website, look at your profile, you'll find that the torrents you have listed that you are not "clever". This is because of the firewall blocking the port(s).

9. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I've never uploaded anything of my own on oink and my ratio is:

Welcome back, xenonsupra [logout]
    Ratio: 1.876 Uploaded: 89.36 GB Downloaded: 47.63 GB

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

:rofl:

No, did you even read what I wrote? I said upload your own stuff, as in going to iTunes, changing the settings to rip CDs at 320KB/s then inserting the selected CD you want to upload.

11. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

My ratio is because of how much I've uploaded. Filling requests is the easiest way to do it if you have a vast CD collection.

Welcome back, Dysfnctnl85 [logout]
    Ratio: 7.762 Uploaded: 20.26 GB Downloaded: 2.61 GB

It was up to 9 at one point :).

12. DjShiznit

Well thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I've resolved the router / firewall problems (initially, it may display "firewalled" but seems to sort out to "NAT OK" shortly thereafter). Since last night, Azureus has uploaded about 60mb of data. If I leave it be, I think it'll be fine :hs: I'll look through the requests and see if there's anything I can upload. Thanks for the help everyone :bigthumb: