Need help choosing a new TV and surround sound system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GiRaff3, Oct 31, 2008.

1. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

So, moved back from Germany to the states recently and it is time to upgrade the TV. I would like to add surround sound also, seeing as the majority of the TVs out there do not have impressive sound.

I will be sitting approx. 5-7 feet away from the screen. The living room is decently small, something like 12 feet long by 7 feet wide, but that is just a guess.

I would *like* to spend under $1000 for everything, if possible.

I plan on using the TV to watch whatever Comcast offers, play DVDs, maybe someday Blue Rays, and to play Wii.

I have no idea if I need 1080p, so, someone please tell me what I need to know. Steer me toward some choices!

So far I have been liking LCDs between 37 and 42 inches. I have been looking at 1080p, because I really do not know any better.

Keep in mind I am not trying to get the top of the line TV or surround sound. So long as each aren't JUNK, are reliable, and do what I need, I will be happy!

Thanks in advance!

I have been bumping around Wal Mart, Best Buy, and Newegg.

2. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

vizio + htib is about all you can get for that money. 1080p probably is overkill. I have a 37" vizio 720p and sit about the same distance away and you can't tell it's only 720p.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

i was about to recommend a 720p 37" vizio :o

and htib's are decent. i'd recommend onkyo, because their receivers are nice and very upgradable.

4. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

htib...an acronym this noob does not know. home theater in a bix?? Please elaborate!

Where do you guys recommend buying from?

5. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

6. Original

Original OT Supporter

home theater in a box yup.. they're just complete systems in one, you can get them with or without bundled dvd players, and some are pretty decent.

I may be biased but when getting bigger tvs i'll only stick with the major brands (vizio, samsung, panasonic, etc) .. and saving money buying online is never 100% either.. i think neweggs policy is your tv has to have more than 7 dead pixels to return it. very rare but i'd be pissed nonetheless.

Just looked up that brand though and from what few people said it looks good so :dunno:

good luck!

7. The Weasel

The Weasel Lakers, Packers, Flyers, Backpacking, Halo Crew OT Supporter

Samsung LN37A330 37-Inch 720p LCD HDTV

Panasonic SC-PT760 Deluxe 5 DVD Home Theater System

Comes out to about $1200...:coolugh: Try looking around for some deals. I got the 46" Samsung for $1200....I am still looking for a Home Theater system. I been looking at the Panasonic one. Pretty good for it's price.

8. GiRaff3

GiRaff3 New Member

I ended up buying the Hanns TV and a low-mid end htib.

We will see how it works out. Like I said, I was not looking for anything absolutely incredible. If I need an upgrade sometime in the future, I will buy a better TV and just move this one into my gaming room! I win, so long as it isn't a complete POS and arrives in good condition!