Need help choosing a mother board.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by richo0013, Aug 23, 2005.

1. richo0013

richo0013 Guest

Hey guys, i dont know too much about comps compared to u guys...i just basicly need a mother board that i can have two HDD's, a dvd player, and a burner. I want to run an AMD socket 939 CPU and later on down the track a AMD X2 dual core CPU.

The mother board and cpu will be used with my old HDD, i have windows xp home edition but dont have the cd's/boot disk for it...what should i do in regards to that?

One last question, what happens when the mother board and cpu are installed and ready to go and i boot up the computer...any setting i have to adjust..i have no idea what to do in this situation.

Any help with this would be much apreciated guys/gals.

*EDIT* - Im on a budget of about $200 USD for the motherboard
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2005
  2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    You want a motherboard compatible with your current processor, but upgradable to X2? Do you currently have a socket 939 processor? If not you won't be able to find a motherboard that can do both.

Once you install the board it should pick up the correct default settings for your hardware. It's a good idea before you get into windows to open up the bios and check your cpu temps to make sure your heatsink/fan is installed correctly.

The only 939 motherboard I'd buy would be an Asus A8N series. If you got $200 to spend go with an SLI model. This board will be able to handle anything you through at it. Check for prices and hopefully you can find similar where you're at.

If you're installing on a clean harddrive, just plug in your optical drive (DVD-ROM or RW) and put in your windows CD. If your drive is set up properly in the boot sequence it will start the windows installation for you. If not add it in the boot sequence.

It's not too hard. If you're never played around in the bios before it can be a bit overwhelming at first, but it's nothing difficult.
  3. richo0013

richo0013 Guest

Thanks for the comment mate....anything else guys?