A&P Need help choosing a couple lenses for 350d.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by COMplex, Mar 20, 2005.

1. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Hey photocrew!

I'm going to be picking up a silver 350d from B&H soon.

Other than the kit lens, I'd like to pick up a wide angle as well as telephoto.

Budget is under $200 per lens if possible.

I'm going to be doing a lot of outdoors landscape, cityscape, wildwife shots. Also, some long exposure night shots.

If possible, post links to lenses on B&H's site that would be good for the above situations.

I'm sort of a noob when it comes to f/# and the sizes like 100-300 etc. although i know the latter means the lens size, but i'm not sure what size the threads on the 350d are you know?

thanks for any help!

2. emoslip

emoslip Guest

i would like 2 kno the answers for these questions too :)

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

do you want prime lenses or zoom lenses?

4. COMplex

COMplex New Member

I don't know what this means.

5. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Well, I just searched and read about Zoom vs. Prime. I'm guessing zoom is better for me no? But, what do you suggest from both catagories and which do you think is better?

6. vizual

vizual → 190½ ЯBI ←

Well faster primes would probably cost you less than fast zooms, the speed of the lens will be decided by what type of photos you plan on taking. But it's going to be hard to find good glass for under $200. I'm not quite sure what you mean by the 'thread size' on the 350D. If you mean for the filters, that changes with each lens you have.

7. jamin'

jamin' New Member

sorry, dumb question but it kind of relates. if you buy a new 35mm dslr camera can you put any old 35mm lenses on or do they have to be specific to the brand or model? i have a couple of really good pentax lenses my dad has given me that are about 15 years old and im hoping they will fit onto a camera, saves me spending a whole lot of money on new ones. will i be in luck or not? they are to fit onto a canon

8. emoslip

emoslip Guest

im not a camera pro or anything, but I think each brand has a different lens mount .. if i recall correctly hash marks told me this

9. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

It really depends on the camera and the manufacturer, I know Nikon works with a ton of older lenses, I wouldn't doubt Canon working either

just check www.dpreview.com for details on the camera you want, the reviews usually mention what type of lenses fit

10. SpiderOnTheFloor

chances are those older lenses will not work...the canon mount used on the 350 is not that old...go to your local photo shop and find some used lenses...i just picked up a nice tamron for pretty cheap and it beats the hell out of the kit lens that came with my film rebel

11. Twisted

Twisted Beauty in motion.....

To clarify some, the 350 uses a ef-s mount which means it will take all ef mount lenses as well as the handfull of digital only ef-s lenses. EF mount has been around a while and there are plenty of used lenses available. However, with a budget of less than $200 a lens you aren't going to get much.

For starters, pick up a 50mm f/1.8, it is about $70 and is the best bang for the buck. Yeah, its a prime 50mm but it is capable of very sharp shots and does well in low light. I've used it with a 550ex bounced in a low light room and works great.

As for wide angle, you aren't going to find anything wider than the kit lens in your budget. In fact to get anything decent wider than 18mm you are going to have to spend some cash.

The only other lens in your budget that will give you some reach is the 75-300 which can be found for around $200. Everyone always buys this lens because of the long reach and low price but you get what you pay for. It is a very slow lens with subpar optics.

I would get the 50mm and then save up for something a little more worth while.

12. COMplex

COMplex New Member

Yea, I've noticed lenses are not cheap whatsoever.

Well, would I be better off getting the body without kit lens? If so, What's a good general purpose lens for around $300-350?

The world of lenses is new to me, since my current sony has a very small market and nothing too crazy like canon.

I will have to check a local photo shop soon for used lenses. The only thing is I'm not sure what to look for. :hs:

13. mojito

mojito New Member

if you want a wide angle, get the kit lens, or atleast get the body only and get a used kit lens (a little cheeper). the next wide angel to cover a similar fange is the 17-40 for $700 or going in to 3rd party lenses at around $400+.

the Tamron 28-75 F/2.8 XR Di is a great lens for general purpose things.

avoid if possible the do it all lenses like a 28-300. they do it all, unforutnetly nothing well. save for each new piece, like a 70-200 for your telephoto lens later on

14. Twisted

Twisted Beauty in motion.....

This is good advice. The Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XRDi is an incredibly sharp lens and less than $400 new. I've heard it comparable to Canon L glass. One thing I've heard that bothers me is that the zoom turns the opposite direction of Canon glass so it can get confusing. It is on my list of possible next lenses to buy.

I just picked up a Canon 70-200 f/4L and love it. An awesome lens for less than $600. Not the fastest thing around at f/4 but it does good in decent light.

We also had a Canon 400mm f/2.8L IS this past weekend. Rented it for a drift event and just to play with it. It was an awesome lens but with a price tag of $6600 I don't think I could ever justify buying one.

15. SpiderOnTheFloor

where are you getting your rebel...b&h has the body for $699, and with a lens for $710

16. COMplex

COMplex New Member

B&H has those for 899 and 999 respectively.

I've decided to get the kit lens, the 50mm 1.8 for now.

And in time, I plan on getting a 17-40mm f/4L USM

17. COMplex

COMplex New Member

oh, you are looking at the 300d. i'm getting the 350 :hs:

18. Sulaco

Sulaco prying open my 3rd eye

If you have to get a telephoto zoom lens for around 200 dollars, give a serious look to the Canon 55-200 USM II. It is an excellent lens for the money. Andrew-T at dpreview.com says it is sharper than an older Canon L lens he has. My friend just bought one and I can't wait to try it out.

As for wide angle, just stick with the kit lens until you get good enough to warrant the purchase of a more expensive wide angle lens. I know that is hard medicine to swallow but it's true and will save you some money and headaches.

19. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

24mm f/2.8 or 35mm f/2.8 (wider is probably better) and a 85mm f/1.8 would be a good starting point