A&P Need help choosing a camera

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by chlywly, Mar 26, 2004.

1. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

I'm looking to buy a new camera...

At first I was looking at DSLR's like the Nikon D100 or the Canon 10D.. Now that the D70 is out it sounds like a better deal than a D100 considering it comes with a nice DX lens and it has more features + slightly improved quality; the only drawback being it's plastic and not metal body.

Then I'm also looking at the Coolpix 8700 Nikon, and the Sony f828.... both cameras are good, Nikon seems to have better reviews for quality and the sony seems to have a few more features hmmm.

I really want a DSLR, but these other ones are cheaper 8megapixel instead of 6.1... yet the other ones carry an interchangable lens and also seem to have better quality from samples i've seen. AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH can't decide..

someone help! anyone had first hand experience with these? :eek3:

Anyways I heard the 828 has poor quality and noise issues, and lots of purple fringe...

2. redna

redna New Member

I hear that both Nikon Coolpix and the Sony use the same 8mp sensor and that they will both have poor quality because they squeezed 8mp onto a sensor sized for 5mp.

personally i am looking VERY heavily into the D70 although i have found that certain models are having moire issues.... I think i will wait until they have enough sold and see about more reviews from actual users. I would like to see some 100% images too!

3. Mike Panic

Mike Panic New Member

you cannot compare a consumer p&s camera w/ a dslr unit only on the number of megapixels... and trust me, the sony does not have more features

it sounds like you are in a bind between an entry level dslr like a canon eos digital rebel (300d) / nikon d70 and a higher end consumer p&s digital camera like the 8700...

what it comes down to is pretty personal. how often will you use it... do you plan on buying more lenses for the dslr, would the fixed lens in the p&s be enough... etc etc

4. chlywly

chlywly Active Member

Well actually I would like something high-end, i'm mostly interested in the DSLR's... I was originaly looking at the Canon 10D and the D100, i'm still contemplating on spending a few extra bucks and getting the D100 as the body is metal and well the D70 although having a few extra features seems to have many problems currently...

Maybe i'll wait for them to be fixed, I've decided to go with the D100 or D70, and yes I will be purchasing extra lenses.....

Besides I don't see why people call the D70 "entry level" when it has the same features and even more as compared to the D100, the only thing I can see is the fact that it doesnt have a base grip and it's plastic based...... !?!:ugh: