Need help, can't boot with new MB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by -Mordecai-, Jan 21, 2007.

1. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I just installed my new EVGA 680i MB along with a 8800 GTS. I was sort of piecing this together off of my old PC.

I turn on my computer and it runs through the POST and everything looks fine. I can enter setup and everything looks fine in there as well. Except maybe the temperature of the MCP which runs at around 64C while the CPU and board run at around 30C.

After I exit the setup and continue to windows it gets to the windows startup screen and the dumps to a blue screen. I can't seem to get past this, even starting windows in safemode results in the same screen.

The only things I've noticed that might be kind of weird is at the end of the initial pre startup test there is a message at the bottom that says "Floppy disk(s) fail (40)". I don't know what that means.

And also I recently checked the support memory for this MB and it seems I'm running some old 400mhz memory. Could this be the problem?
    [/FONT]

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Floppy disk fail usually means the cable is on upside down. Did you transplant your hard drive with Windows already on it into this new board? That usually doesn't work too well. You can try booting off your Windows XP and running a repair. Hhit r=repair the SECOND time it asks if you want to repair. The first time takes you to a command line recovery console. If repairing lets you boot Windows, you'll then need to load your new drivers and reapply the service pack if your CD is older than SP2. Its best to slipstream SP2 into your CD but that's another episode.

3. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

i dont have a floppy disk drive. and yea I'm running windows that is already on my harddrive from my old PC

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

You probably need the tell the BIOS there's no floppy then. It should be on the first page.

5. -Mordecai-

-Mordecai- New Member

yea i disabled it.

so I can repair my current installation of windows versus totally reinstalling it and it should work?

and when is the second time it asks you to repair?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

*should* work. Sometimes. Its really best to clean install it though. The second time it asks is after it detects the hard drive(s) and existing Windows installation(s).