Need help building computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cheesesauce, Mar 13, 2005.

1. cheesesauce

cheesesauce RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE

So far i have this case =

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=11-129-120&depa=1

and want to go from there with a system that is somewhat powerful in the 600-800 dollar range. I cant decide between AMD or Intel as i hear an equal amount of cons and pros of both. This will mainly be a gaming and media computer. Any help? Thanks. Share the knowledge, this is my first attempt at building a computer.

2. Burns45678

Burns45678 New Member

game=amd 939 a 3000+ will suit you fine for that budget
    get a 9600xt or 9700pro
    as for mother boards i perfer msi or asus make sure your cpu socket matches the board
    new egg has good deals on serial ata drives(i found a 80 gig hitachi for 60)
    soundcards are not very necissary if your on a budget just a luxery thats something i kept in mind when building mine
    make sure you get a good power supply such as antec brand and make it atleast 350 watts
    you can save some cash by buying a nice case combind with a nice powersupply
    i bought a nice 100 dollar antec case and got a nice power supply with it 430 watts
    and remember dont settle for a cheap brand to lower the price becasue cheap shit is a huge cause of computer problems a year or 2 down the road
    hope i helped you out some

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do not buy hitachi hard drives. Stick with Seagate, Maxtor, or Western Digital. Seagate is my drive of choice, currently.

Antec power supplies are *NOT* a "good" brand.

"nice" case and "nice" powersupply are rarely bundled togehter.

Otherwords, just don't listen too much to burns...

The case you choose isn't horrible, but it's extremely out-dated, and not really worth the price, imho. If you must stick with antec (why?) then get the Sonata. If you want something much better, look at something like a Lian Li 6070 or a Silverstone TJ02 or TJ04.

I would go with an AMD 3200+ and the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. No soundcard for now, and for the video card, it depends on if you game or not. For gaming, grab a GeForce 6600GT. If you don't game, then just get a cheap nVidia card, such as the MX-4000. If you don't game, an Intel D865GLCL and Intel 320 processor will keep you very under-budget, and be a great start to a good system. With the GLCL, no video card is needed (assuming you don't play games). As for optical storage, I'd go with an NEC DVD+/-RW if you want to burn dvds, or Lite-On drives for anything else. Make sure to include $100-150 in your budget for Windows XP Home/Pro.

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Certain Aspire cases and all MGE cases come with great ones.

I <3 my MGE Viper's 500w.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

:bigok: