need help bigtime, hardware issue.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lancer, Mar 13, 2009.

1. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

about 2 months ago, my computer died out of the blue while watching a tv show. I've sent in all the components possible. motherboard, ram, cpu, graphics card, psu, and I've put them all back together, but still cant get it to boot up. when it starts, all the fans spin up, but nothing shows up on the screen, no beeps from the motherboard. can someone help me? :wtc:

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

what do you mean 'sent in"?

So fans spin, indicating power, have you tried different components or are you just using the same ones you used before?

3. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

as in I RMAed them, and got brand new replacement parts for them. this rig was running stable for 2 months before it broke down randomly

4. SeeVinceRun

Gotcha.

No BSOD, no nothing, huh? Do you have onboard video? If power is going to the mobo and you're not getting anything on screen, its either a bad mobo or bad video card right off the top of my head. Bring it down to bare min of everything, then start swapping known good parts.

EDIT - were you OCing and have you done all the simple "check connection" stuff

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

no ocing, yeah, had onboard video, checked with that, no signal from everything. everything is brand new from the manufacturer now all wires are connected correctly and securely.

6. SeeVinceRun

Well, you dont get video from onboard or vid card, there is power going to the mobo, and a bad CPU would at least boot into something.

I say take out and test the mobo. also make sure its not something dumb like a bad monitor.

7. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

I'm using the monitor now that I was using on that computer. I've also had a problem with no usb shit working while plugged in either.

8. SeeVinceRun

You mean while it was working the USB wouldn't recognize, or wouldnt install.

At any rate, get yourself a different mobo to at least try out. See if that does it. With nothing booting into anything, its just a guessing game.

9. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

my mouse or keyboard wouldnt light up while plugged in or anything.

10. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

I've sent in and gotten a brand new motherboard, processor, psu, and ram, what else could it be?

11. SeeVinceRun

If it were a hard drive, it would boot into BIOS then do nothing. If it were ram, it would BSOD or not boot at all. Mobo would obviously not boot at all, CPU would error in BIOS. Vid card would boot to no image, but youve said you tested it with onboard, too. PSU beign bad wouldnt give power to anything, and if the PSU was too weak for the system, it would probably boot for a second then turn off.

I realize you sent in for new parts, but sometimes the parts you get back are DOA.

Sorry I couldnt narrow it down further, but im throwing my darts at the mobo.

12. lancer

lancer OT Supporter

fuuuuuuuuuuuuu, well I thought it was memory at the time, because when it shitted out, it froze during video playback, and I had to hard reset it. like 30 minutes after I rebooted it, it happened again, then I had to reboot it again. the 2nd time rebooting, it just died and nothing loaded.