Need Help Bad Windows Boot problem :((

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mac Daddy, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

I downloaded this program called alcohol so I can play games that I downloaded off Bit Torrent. I restart the computer and now it won't boot up again. I try to run it in safe mode and I get this weird computer crap. I don't want to loose my Harddrive to this stupid shit. I have too many things on my computer that are not worth losing IE lots of Pr0n:wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: :wtc: I took a picture of the weird computer crap. By the way its windows xp.

2. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

3. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Your boot.ini or Hal.dll file is damaged or the Hal.dll file is missing. You may be able to save it by using the command console on your xp install disk. You can get to it by booting off of your cd and selecting the option to repair an installation. It will give you a prompt that you can use to browse to the boot.ini file and edit if needed and locate the Hal.dll file.

Another tool would be to download something like Hiren's Boot cd or even Barts windows XP PE (bootable windows xp all on 1 cd). You can then fix the files.
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/hiren.thanki/bootcd.html

Find Bart's from a torrent site.

4. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

:bowdown: :bowdown: K ill give this a try first thing tomarrow.

6. Clarity

Clarity New Member

easiest thing that Nefarious77 has already said - bootup from a boot cd. then go into your windows partition, copy whatever you need, and reformat + reinstall. i use alcohol, and it doesn't mess up my windows.

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

K I used a burn copy of windows xp that i have. I tried to do the system restore thing. I type Bootcfg / rebuild in the command console and I get this. Error:Failed to successfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent bootcfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors.

I have an Amd Processor. I use plug and play cards. I think thats a software not sure what it does. My father is a computer expert but I live in a whole different state. I dont really want to ask him for help lol. When I start the computer it runs like normal until im supposed to get to the windows xp load thing. However it just goes blank. I don't get any error at all. I'm very confused right now.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Try using the install CD to automatically repair the installation of Windows on your hard drive. (that's NOT the same as Automated system restore, or the Recovery console, you have to actually start the process of reinstalling Windows before the option to repair shows up.) I've had this happen before and a Windows Repair did the job. It won't delete your files and settings.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:lockd:

PAY for the software.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's not going to fix his problem, is it? Legit or pirated, Windows gets fucked up from time to time and it needs to be repaired.

That said, it was stupid of the thread starter to say that he's using a pirated copy.

11. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

It's my dads sorry:sadwavey:. Well I did fix the problem. I had to totally reinstall the windows xp. I didnt lose any information though. I lost all my desktop stuff but its no big deal. Thanks for the help guys!

12. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

Sorry you had to do a reinstall. It was probably the easiest thing to do though if you're not familiar with editing boot files.