need help ASAP!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Japs4eva, Dec 24, 2003.

1. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

I'm going to clean up my mom's car for her for xmas.. it's a Taffeta White 4dr 98 Accord..

She's been washing it with Dawn for the car's entire existance and it's probably only seen one wax or 2.. there are swirls and the paint is REALLY dull.. how do i take out the swirls, liven up the paint and then protect it?

I can't claybar it because I'm not gonna spend 15$ on that and I already have a claybar at my house, which is 300 miles away.. so what can I get from Discout Auto Parts or Pepboys that will do a good job.. and in what order? thanks a lot.

2. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

search

www.autopia.org

why would she dawn wash everytime with no wax? jesus

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Your mom's car does not have a clearcoat and washing it with Dawn is making it a lot worse. You are going to have to spend a lot of time just removing the oxidiation, but at least that should also remove the swirls. Start with a strong paint cleaner, then a polish, glaze then wax. After that, take away her Dawn and never let her buy any more.

Everything you need is in the stickies.

4. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

does she need to bring it in to be clearcoated?

i used meguiars #9 on it.. but it didnt remove the swirls or scratches.. not deep scratches, but the ones you see from an angle.. how do i get rid of them to make the paint smooth again? :(

5. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

would i be better off just getting it professionaly detailed?

6. Scottwax

She'd need a whole new paint job to get a clearcoat.

Meguiars #2 is more aggressive than #9 is.

7. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

do i use the same application as #9, with #2?

I used a terry cloth towel, folded into 1/8's.. applied #9 to towel and worked into paint in a back and forth motion until it was dry and hard to move, then buffed out the rest of it with a microfiber.. it didnt get rid of the spider-web scratches on it, i assume #2 would do the job...

8. Scottwax

Use #2 the same way. It would be better if you can get hold of some DACP (Dual Action Cleaner Polish) since it starts off as strong as #2 but breaks down as you work it into the paint so it ends up as a light polish.

9. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

Where can I get it? I dont know of any detail shops around me.. just pep boys, discount auto parts, the usual..

10. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

In that case, you'll have to purchase it online. I got mine from carparts.com, but I know there are cheaper places to get it now. I was just starting out when I bought the Meguiar's products from them.