Need help $6k budget

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jagman, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jagman

jagman New Member

I know its not a a lot to work with, but I had to sell my evo to pay for college, I am now left with 6k for a car and have no idea where to even start :sadwavey:

I'm looking for something with manual transmission, fast, and decent looking... and of course something I won't die in if I crash :x

Any help is appreciated :wtc:

2. Intro

Intro New Member

h22 prelude, 240sx, mk3 supra, 300z u looking for rwd car?

3. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

What are your other requirements? More than two seats? Cargo space? Reliability?

Most cheap cars that are fun to drive are gonna be small. Like Miatas. But those can be pretty sturdy in a crash with the addition of a good rollbar. But it may or may not be practical for you.

You could get an Integra for that money. But not a GS-R, unless it was kinda old and beat down then maybe. But you could get a pretty nice LS. But the LS isn't exactly a performance car (although it's fun around town and I like mine a lot).

And you could get a mid 90s Accord EX, which is pretty safe, good-looking, comfortable on the inside, and not too shabby to drive with a 4cyl manual but could never be accused of being fast.

Or you could get, like, a Camaro :x

4. jagman

jagman New Member

Well, I am entering my freshman year of college next year, and wish to keep my current driving lifestyle of having excellent acceleration + speed as well as manuverability. I won't be needing much trunk space and a two seater may even be practical. I am not a HUGE fan of miatas but I am willing to look into it.

Thanks again!

5. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

You can definitely pick up a nice example of a 1.8L first gen ('94-97) within your budget. Go drive one.

6. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

240sx?

7. jagman

jagman New Member

Alright im gonna look into the 1.8, 240sx, and the 300z thanks for the help guys!

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Where are you going to college? If you're going to see snow more than a couple of times a year, ESPECIALLY if you're far enough south that you're as likely to get ice pellets as snowfall, then you should look for FWD or AWD. The last thing you want to do is wreck your car because it can't stay pointed straight, and none of those cars mentioned have traction control or even an impotent "snow-driving" mode.

9. jagman

jagman New Member

Eek, I'm going to college in south new jersey so there is 100% chance of snow in the winter.. halp

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Volvo 850 or S70. They are AMAZING in the snow. And if you get a turbo model, they are FUN to drive.

Despite owning many vehicles, that was the BEST car I've ever had.

11. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

I'd advise against the 300ZX unless you get a TT
    A boat thats worth more in parts than whole.
    240 gets my vote
    I would NEVER recommend an MKIII Supra to anybody

12. deusexaethera

Jersey is halfway competent in snow-removal, and the drivers actually know what they're doing. I went to Monmouth University, so I've been through Jersey winters (though it was up near Sandy Hook, not so much near Cape May). What school are you going to?

I second Jolly's recommendation. A FWD with proper suspension will be plenty fun to drive, and a lot easier to handle in snow.

13. Akimbo

Akimbo New Member

cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

um, Volvo 850 fits all three. Buy one in good shape, and do your own maintance, and do it proactively... you'll be good to go. However, if you don't want to have to remember to replace timing belts every 60k, then don't get a volvo because the interference motor isn't going to deal well with your forgetfulness.

But if you can reasonably maintain the vehicle, Volvo will be very good to you.

15. jagman

jagman New Member

I'm not too sure I want to concern myself with constant vehicle maintinence.. however I'll still look into the volvo.

I'm attending Rider University

cheap, reliable, fast. Pick two. :: I wish it was as easy as that but thats my dilemma.. I'm trying to find something as reliable and fast as possible for my ~6k budget

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

By "constant" maintenance I mean keep it clean, check your fluids, change the oil every 3k, every time you check the oil note the mileage for any required maintance, and don't skip it -- you need to do the timing belt when it says to -- not a minute more. Check the balljoints, bushings, etc.

Basically actually FOLLOW the manual's maintenance schedule. Unlike most people that just change the oil then look all suprised when something else breaks.

17. jagman

jagman New Member

I spoke to my father (Has been in the automotive buisness for over 20 years) and he said that the volvo wasn't what I was looking for.. he said the 240sx was sufficient and told me hed look into things for me over the weekend :shrug:

18. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I own a 300zx z31, it is a ton of fun to drive. The car is comfortable as hell, the seats hold you in, it has good acceleration (6.5 to 7sec 0 to 60mph), is handles very well, hugs the corners, rwd, 5spd manual, you can get it with a turbo, 2 seater, hatch, with a 3L v6.

I picked mine up for $2200 and put $500 of work into it so it would run smooth and I never have an problems with the car. Everyone I run into says the Z31 is perfect for a college student since you can pick them up for under $4.5k

Though if you have the FULL $6k to spend, then I would get a 300ZX Z32 Twin Turbo. It produces 300hp and is better then the Z31.

19. deusexaethera

Make sure you buy tire chains for driving in the winter, even if they're just the cheap braided-cable ones.

20. jagman

jagman New Member

That actually sounds really good, I'll look into that now

21. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

I forgot to mention, both the Z31 and Z31 have T-Tops which is :cool:

22. mrtwo

mrtwo New Member

a mister 2?:dunno:

23. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

why not a 97 99 maxima? fast relatively economical, and safe

24. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

I guess it depends on the person, but I really have not had any problems with RWD in the snow. You just have to have a basic understanding of vehicle dynamics and not drive like a total retard.

In fact, between my 240SX and Celica, I felt much less safe driving the Celica in snow. The 240 I could control easily with the wheel and my right foot, whereas the Celica would just plow all over the place unless I drove REALLY slowly. My Miata and Oldsmobile didn't see as much snow but they were also fine.

25. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I bet you can find a decent GTI