Need HDTV help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by interstate, Feb 28, 2008.

1. interstate

interstate New Member

I purchased a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV a few months ago. I love it, the picture is great, no problems except 1 minor thing. I'm not an expert in this stuff, so i may use the wrong terminology.

Once in a while while watching HD (HD only, it never does this when it is displaying "analog" content"), the picture goes snowy (almost like the "snow" of an analog TV when theres no connection, but slightly different.. sometimes there are horizontal lines. It also makes a horrible sounds.. The only way I can describe it is "digital popcorn". It sounds like popcorn popping (kind of that randomness of kernels bursting), but the popping sounds are "digital" sounding. I know, this description kind of sucks. I could probably make a video on my phone if I need to describe it further.

Anyway, my setup is the following:

From the cable outlet in the wall, a coax cable to my cable box, and then an HDMI cable to my TV. I also have an AV plug plugged into the TV that goes to a modulator that switches between a Wii, Playstation and DVD player, but I don't think that has anything to do with the problem.

The HDMI cable was cheaper, so I'm wondering if that may be part of the problem, however I don't want to buy a $50 HDMI cable if it won't solve the problem. I got it from a friend who works at Rent A Center who was able ot buy them for like $10 each.

This problem happens maybe once every 2 hours on average, Hi-Def only, and turning the TV off and back on fixes it. If I don't turn the TV off, it stays that way until I turn the TV off. Nothing seems to cause it, it just happens randomly once in a great while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

you don't have enough bandwidth on the line you're using for your HD box. Call teh cable company and tell them you're getting tiling on your tv whenever you watch HD content. They'll come out and check the box and bandwidth allocated for it and make adjustments if necessary.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you have a HDTV then you have no business using shitty cable. Get DirecTV.

4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

:rofl:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

troof... cable sucks, mayn.

6. interstate

interstate New Member

I live in an apartment.. Can't get DirecTV, otherwise I would.. trust me.

Is the problem I'm describing called "Tiling"? I just want to be sure it's not an issue with my TV.