Need Hard Drive Help, Cant boot :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sushtsi, Jan 17, 2004.

1. sushtsi

sushtsi OT Supporter

I installed a new hd (WD 160gb 8mb cache) last week. I did a copy of my old wd 40gb hd through the supplied tools disk. Installed it as the primary master (cable select) after copying and all was fine. I go away for a week and my bro's tell me they restarted it and it said disk read error. I tried to get them to check all the connections etc but they said nothing changed. They installed the old 40gb and all is fine. Now im back at home and trying to fix things. Right now I can get the 160gb HD to recognize in the bios but it has to autodetect (very slowly) every time (before it showed up right away). Even if its detected it wont boot from the hd. If i set it as a salve to the 40gb hd (both by cable select) they are both detected, but the 160gb doesnt show up in winxo. I would like to somehow format the 160gb hd and do a copy again, but not quite sure what steps to take now. I cant seem to get either hd to boot using any of the jumper settings either :(

Please help asap

2. sushtsi

sushtsi OT Supporter

I just booted again with the 160gb hd as a slave. Chkdsk came up and said the consistency of one of my drives needs to be checked. It doesnt say which drive. BUt this came up (cant be good :() File record segment 61944,61945, 61946, 61847,61964 etc. is unreadable.

Any ideas?

3. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Yeah, I just bought one of those, took me forever to figure out how to get it to work with the on-board IDE. Shoulda just bought a controller card.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I highly recommend not to install a drive that big as a master. It will just cause problems down the line. Do what I did, have a decent 40 gig or so drive as the master that can run Windows, Office, and whatever apps, and use the 160 gb as the slave to store all of your files on.

And if you did try to set the 40 gig as master and the 160 gig as a slave, why did you set both to cable select? That's probably making the comptuer go crazy. Set the 40 gig as a master and the 160 gig as a slave. You shouldn't have to bother to use cable select.

OR... How about putting your 160 gig drive on IDE 2 and make it the secondary master and keep each drive on a separate cable?

Good luck.

CM.

5. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

What's wrong with cable select? I don't see any reason why using cable select will make your computer "go crazy".