Need good inexpensive Home Theater

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sandman, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Ok, first let me tell you what set-up I have going in my room now. I have this tv: http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=52

I have a Panasonic 5 Disc DVD changer that I don't need/want anymore. It doesn't allow surround sound for anything but itself. I would like something similar in terms of wattage or better: 45 watts per channel x 4, 90 watts for the center channel, and 170 watts for the subwoofer

I have an Xbox360 and a PS3 so that's the main reason I want a new Home theater system. I can probably use the surround speakers I have and just buy a good receiver and subwoofer and save some money, but I'm probably going to give everything to my parents cause they have an older DVD player/surround sound.

Minimum: I would like to have surround sound for the PS3 and 360 and HDMI for at least the PS3 (the 360 looks fine with component cables). Optimally I would like surround sound for everything (TV, PS3 and 360) and HDMI for both the 360 and PS3 (if all that is even possible). I have no need for anything but regular TV viewing as I rarely watch cable. Would I be better off buying everything seperate?

Thanks for any links/suggestions!

2. johnson

johnson New Member

budget

3. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  4. johnson

johnson New Member

That budget will barely get you a subwoofer. Look into Infinity Primus speakers.

5. Sandman

Sandman New Member

Ok, well how much will I need?

What's wrong with this setup:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000095R9P/ref=ord_cart_shr/104-0394366-7545516?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=API0ESPAS70OH&v=glance
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000EU0UVA/nextag-ce-20/ref=nosim

Subwoofer's a little weak, but all my stuff is in a small bedroom, so that's fine. I'm more concerned with video quality than audio quality, but I want them together: Surround sound (average quality) and video (Better than average quality). Will this setup give me that for at least the PS3 and the 360? Like I said, I don't care about how cable TV looks/sounds.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
  7. Taldir

Taldir Ask me about GasWatch!

8. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

9. Sandman

Sandman New Member

No, I would just like to have surround sound for the systems. My TV only has one HDMI input too so a receiver would be nice. I have a couple weeks until I make the purchase so I'm going to keep looking. Who knows, maybe by then I might just decide not to buy a receiver/surround...but my TV speakers suck so that's not likely.

Edit: I forgot that the 360 doesnt even have HDMI cables yet and I don't need to hook it up via HDMI anyway. So, I guess I can go for a receiver that only has one HDMI input on the back and save some money. Will also be able to spend saved money on better speakers.

Ok, well, thanks guys but I just did some budgeting and I realized that I don't think I'll have enough money for surround sound right now without feeling like I wasted it. I guess I don't really need it with this small of a room, but my TV speakers are AWFUL.

[​IMG]

Yes I know it's messy but I am a college student who is in the process of going home for Dec.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  10. johnson

johnson New Member

Check out the SVS system for $1000. Gets you 5 speakers and a 10" subwoofer. A good set of speakers will last years.