GUN >>>Need Flashlight Recomendation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by jay7430, Dec 8, 2005.

1. jay7430

jay7430 it's just business

So what brand of flashlights do you guys recommended? Brands like Surefire, Pelican,Streamlight is what I am considering buying.

I'll probably only spend less than $100, and it'll be the only flashlight I hope I'll ever buy.

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

What are you going to use it for?

I got a Surefire G2 that I like. Worth the money.

3. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Same here. I use mine everyday. Great flashlight.

4. jay7430

just everyday use. I use to have a maglight.....that thing was crap...sorry to say.

5. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

surefire g2

6. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Pentagon. If you ever think about buying a Surefire, buy a Pentagon instead. Almost identical, WAAAAY cheaper, many more options for LED lights. They even have the ARMS mounted weapon lights, and so far, are about identical to SF in quality and durability with the same construction, just for less $$$.

7. jay7430

Link to pentagon? Surefire is really expensive.......definitely interested in pentagon. I'll try to google it and see what i can find.

8. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I have a a couple G2s and an E2E

9. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

I have two G2's, a 6P and an Aviator. All excellent lights. Now that the 6p's come with a pyrex lense, that'll pretty much last you forever. I've beat the hell out of mine.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

IT depends what you want out of the light. Do you want it to be small enough you can EDC it? How much will it get used, cause 123 Lithiums can get expensive if you use your light a lot.
    For a EDC light,with only light use, you can't go wrong with anything from Surefire or Streamlight, I personally carry a Streamlight TL-2 incan.
    If you plan on using it for utility and also EDC'ing it, I've got a Streamlight Strion, it's awesome. About the same size and brightness as a G2/6P, but it's rechargable. They run $65-100 depending on source and charging base options.
    If you just want a good utility light and you won't be "packing" it all day, You really can't beat a Magcharger. They're right at $90, nice rechargable base, HA3 iirc, and with about $10 in mods you have a VERY bright light that rivals a surefire M6, for a fraction of the cost.

Also if it's just a utility light, there are all kinds of other great lights available. I'm going to pick up a couple Streamlight Pro Polymer Luxeon 4AA lights to throw in the emergency kit along with a box of Lithium AA's. Best part, they're only $23 each.
    If you want to check out some reviews, go to www.flashlightreviews.com or do some searches on www.Candlepowerforums.com I also know there are a few flashaholics on here that can help ya out.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I got a surefire g2 I love it, other then that i got a bunch of mini maglites, and I keep a big maglite in my truck

12. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

search, wankers. I reviewed a SureFire G2 and a DigiLight 1000XB just a few weeks ago. :fawkd:

13. 2L Bunny

If ya want to make that Maglite fun, shoot me a PM. You can single LED it for twice the output with many times the runtime.

14. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

...or build a mag85 like i'm in the process of doing. Puts ALL other flashlights to shame, except for huge latern-type flashlights. But my first mod was using a diamond 3watt luxeon led. Pretty good throw, white, pure light.

Other cheap, free mods, are using 4C batteries in a 3 D maglite. flip the spring around, and use the same bulb. gain about 20-30 lumens outta that

Candlepowerforums has a wealth of information. Just spend some time researching and find out what fits your needs.

15. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Pentagon X2 and a pair of Inova thumb lights would cover you pretty well. The x2 is going for less tha $60 on Ebay.

16. 2L Bunny

The problem is Mag85's are pretty much specialty "fun" lights. Short runtime and WAY more light that is usually needed. Plus the NiHM's have a discharge rate, so it's not a charge and forget it light. Not saying I'd give away my Mag85 or 74, just not a good light for everyone.

Next project is going to run a FET-driver on my 74 and 85, then build a Mag100R WHEEEEE

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

18. jay7430

well, after much much research im debating either surefire G2 or streamlight scorpion. any thoughts?

19. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Buy two, then realize you'd have been better off just buying one X2 in the first place. ;)

The G2 is great light for $30, but if you're willing/budget allows, the X2's aluminum body will be more durable and shunt heat better, resulting in longer bulb life.

20. 2L Bunny

Unless you're constantly leaving the light on from fresh batteries to run down, heat and bulb life isn't an issue.

21. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

22. 2L Bunny

Those are both great choices and you can't go wrong with either. Just buy whichever one "feels" better to you.

23. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

24. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I agree that the Mag85 may not be the best option. But for how bright it is, and how cheap it is to make one, they can't be beat. Haven't built mine yet, to see how long runtime is. Isn'ta surefire m-6 like 20 mins runtime at 500lumens? I'm guessing the Mag85 lasts at least that long and is at least that bright for a whole lot cheaper. I'm more into the "build it myself" type projects. Mag85 is one of them.

Mag100R:drool:

25. 2L Bunny

Battery choice on a Mag85 really affects runtime. I've got cheapo Lenmar 2000's (I'm sure they're not really 2000's) and I get about 15 miunutes of runtime. Others I know with Energizer? 2500's get about 20-25 minutes on a charge.